Modules and a Gadgeteer comeback!

A win for cables

CTKAE-AO-504.jpg (417×345) (mouser.com)

1 Like

100% with you

Would it be an idea to build a community driven SmartHome/Garden ecosystem? This community has hardware, it has software, it has brains …
Say we call it HomeGadgeteer …

@Pablo0031

Whats the goal?
we all fit our homes with it, or we sell it? (who specifically?)

portal for the central unit + wifi, feather + wifi for sensors

its a huge time investment, its too expensive in the start, its battery hell, its connection hell, its to many different casing needed, and its almost certainly doomed to fail.
just look at samsung, google, apple, etc… they’re systems are pretty much dead
sure with this ecosystem you can do it in 1/10 the time, and that’s about the only positive thing

and garden you can straight on forget, its way to costly and hard to make the devices IP68

but if there’s and interest, im in :stuck_out_tongue:

thats not completely true

it costs more than nothing thats for sure but intelligent systems help you save money within short period of time

my z-wave devices battery now lasts since 2 years, with energy harvesting no battery needed at all

Now picture this… A module that is running DUE … just saying!. Introducing the DUE Scriptable Language – GHI Electronics a button module can control a relay module, without a main board? Can you wrap your head around this level of sophistication?!

hmm, interesting. So are we talking about networked “smart modules”, or straight gpio connections to relays, etc.?

a module with a cpu what is able to execute scripts?
or in other words expensive modules as we “also have” “mainboards”?

What is expensive? What is a good price for a module?

lets not talk about a good price for a module because this must include multiple factors
but
a button module containing only a button compared with a button module containing a button plus a cpu for scripts (whats the benefit to pay additional bits to have such a module?)
and i must think about GHI’s Gadgeteer relais module which was basically a relais module everyone can buy with an additionally pcb and gadgeteer socket (also means additional costs for what? a cable connection?)

But that is what I want to talk about. Is this a good module? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15932

not for me, $4 .25 for only button?
i am not talking about the rare cases where you really make use of all of your gpio’s and you need to use i2c to connect a or multiple buttons to your mainboard

Why is $4.25 too expensive? We are talking about prototyping not production.

In the US $4.25 is a cup of coffee.

in Kosovo (Europe) is cup of cofee (capouccino,machiato,french cofee,us cofee) is about 0.50 us

i agree with @Austrian_Dude too expensive for one button (or in ebay you can buy keyes studio sensor kit clones 37 in 1 for 13 - 17 usd it include button switch too, and different sensors too)

or groove

Why I2C for a button?, that’s illogical in prototyping. You prototype to probably make something, your not gonna create your design and have an I2C button, you will 100% find a free interrupt pin to use a button

1 Like

prototyping from which clientele?
where are all the customers who need such modules?
if the clientele really needs those things why was gadgeteer never successful?
just asking

Because Microsoft dropped support and did not open source critical components?

? which ones

Gadgeteer was not successful before Microsoft did this

We have made millions of dollars selling gadgeteer. But for us to take netmf and turn it into TinyCLR and to make modern secure SITCore hardware we had to drop everything, including gadgeteer.

Look around, many years later and people still talk about gadgeteer. Many have not moved on. I am not saying gadgeteer is the best way, but it solved a problem that nothing else has answered to just yet.

Why do many still love gadgeteer? Why not use one of the many, many available options? What system out there solves the connectivity problem (software and hardware) like USB does in a PC? Why use a $5 plug and play button if you can just wire a $0.1 button? All good questions and everyone has a different answer!

1 Like