Modules and a Gadgeteer comeback!

That’s just because things “just works”. If they don’t, people looks for solution and see the underwater part of iceberg (a big amount of time and work). When it works, you look only the heigher part of the iceberg: I think GHI hides the underwater part so that people can enjoy the view.

2 Likes

I have not heard this before. I like it.

And since we are just having fun here …

4 Likes

Must resist posting…

I really want the community to tell me this is useless and should spend mother’s day with the wife instead of making a …ahm… DUE Do!!!

@Gus_Issa, Can you put a coin battery pad on the back of that so I can make it wearable?

gadgeteer and other clicks are ideal for hobbyist. I did my own pcb’s looonnng time ago (6502, z80 and pic project) but don"t have the material for
anymore. If you develop a small project for your own usage, gadgeteer is a very good solution. not evryone has his own business and customers. but i guess they are many people ‘PLAYING’ with GHI products and others. so bringing back gadgeteer would very very cool.

f you develop

3 Likes

So does that mean that a stripped-down version of TinyCLR can run on something like an STM32F038F6P6, 20-TSSOP package?

1 Like

Yes, but not every commercial project consists of manufacturing thousands of devices. If let’s say you have to make 10-100 very specialized products, one could argue that it is still attractive to use off the shelf components rather than creating and testing everything yourself.

I cannot speak for others, but I do not like these I2C solutions. One reason being that transition from the prototype to the final product (or from small to large scale production) is not easy. I want to have direct access to digital and analog IO ports, UART, SPI and so on, not some artificial implementation of it.

I want direct connection, cables, multiple (in some cases many) small sockets on the board (but not those 4 pins, as explained above), debugging. GUI that makes is faster and more intuitive (especially for the first time users) to prototype would be a nice bonus.

I cannot agree with that, because apart from all the good stuff you liked about it, I liked it even more because it supported VB.NET :heart_eyes: Actually, that was how I found out about Gadgeteer/NETMF.

Ahh, but decision has already been made, there will be no rebirth of the Gadgeteer.

You’re both wrong… :yum:

1 Like

I would like the solder pads for a CR2032 battery holder
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Renata/SMTU2032-LF?qs=r1PAtlylphCLeXbokB9Tog%3D%3D

I would also like castellated pins to give me more options when soldering. I could still solder the through holes, but its desoldering that tends to be the problem.

I would love to put this little lot to good use. I loved gadgeteer. It was easy to use and allowed me to explore everything from code to making my own modules etc.

I must find some time to start again with tinyclr.

4 Likes

This thread has brought in everyone back. I do not feel lonely anymore. Welcome back!

2 Likes

Hugh me old diamond, good to see you are still alive and kicking! :grin:

@Justin still here. Been lurking every so often just to keep an eye on things and make sure everyone is behaving. Funnily enough about a day before I got the email with the vote in I was looking at all my old gadgeteer bits and wondering if I should star desoldering all the sensors etc. I have used a few bits recently like the 2 line lcd but used a breakout module in reverse to wire it up.

I gather tinyclr 2 will only run on the new sitcore SoM’s now?

Don’t - i have a dream / plan…

Correct, you need SCxxxx based products to run v2

Didn’t you and @mcalsyn start cooking up something gadgeteeresque a while ago?

The recipe has changed a few times…
Once the car industry has stopped nicking all the STM’s there will be some new goodies :cowboy_hat_face:

2027 at this rate :scream:

Yeah, but I’m a slacker with a short attention span. Lifelong struggle.

That said, there is another thread in the last day or two about that - The software side of Gadgeteer - #4 by CDR114

I like it ! :+1: