MFDeploy doesn't see FEZ Spider

Hello … I just received my FEZ Spider starter kit this week.

I have downloaded and installed the .NET Micro Framework, v4.2, and the latest GHI drivers, etc. I am running 32-bit Windows 7 Pro (all latest patches, etc applied) and VS 2010 Pro.

After the GHI drivers were installed, I updated the firmware on the Spider. At first it didn’t work but after some research on this site, I learned to manually update the device driver. Everything looked great. It is now booting up with Version 4.2.5.0 showing on the attached display.

I set the dip switches back to default and reset the board. I hear the usual tones and see “GHI NETMF Debug Interface” under the USB controllers in the device manager.

However, when I go to deploy anything to the device, VS gives me a “device not found or cannot be opened - USB:Gadgeteer” error. So, I tried to see if MFDeploy can see the device. I set MFDeploy to USB (from serial) and nothing …

After more research on this site, I back out all software expect VS 2010 and reloaded (twice!!). Micro Framework installed first followed by GHI drivers, etc. I updated the firmware on the spider again … no problems. I still see nothing on MFDeploy.

I tried the same process on my MAC, booted to windows 7 pro 64 bit, but I had the same problems.

I really don’t want to send this board back … it looks like it is working but there is something I’m missing in windows or a driver or something.

Any other ideas?

Did you try to erase all the memory map on the FEZ before installinge the NETMF 4.2 hex files ?

hey dgies68, welcome to the forum !
sounds to me like the drivers didn’t load - the fact that the firmware shows 4.2.5.0 is a GREAT sign. So show us the device manager screenshot to see the driver - and follow the manual install of the driver, in bold, at http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=9388

Here is the screen capture from the device manager and from the MFDeploy. Still no joy after following the process from http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=9388

How do I erase memory map on the FEZ if I can’t get MFDeploy to work? I know I’m missing something. Do you have a procedure?

You have 4.2 but not 4.2 QFE2. Please use the exact downloads listed on the support page.

And welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Hi Gents,

Thnx Mr. Gus for your quick responses :slight_smile:

and I think I’ve reached now exactly the same issue of Mr. dgies68 at the same step, but with FEZ Cerbuino Bee …

So … should I try the same thing? I mean to (use the exact downloads listed on the support page.) !!

Although I was following the steps of (Firmware Update FEZ Cerberus)
@ GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software

Thnx in advance :slight_smile:

@ Petabyte, if you downloaded the 4.2 RTM not 4.2 QFE2 update, then you need to at least uninstall the GHI SDKs and then netmf sdk, then reinstall as per http://www.ghielectronics.com/support/dotnet-micro-framework and then make sure you apply the firmware again

@ Brett Thnx for the reply :slight_smile:

Dear Brett, I was following the exact page that you provided (.NET Micro Framework)

Sorry, but I got confused now, the link in that page, which is for (Microsoft .NET Micro Framework 4.2 QFE2 SDK) is directing me to this page:
https://netmf.codeplex.com/releases/view/91594

Then I found and downloaded the RECOMMENDED DOWNLOAD, which was “SDK 4.2 (RTM QFE2)”

So it seems that RTM & QEF2 is the same thing in one file, isn’t it?

and do you think this framework has anything to do for pinging the board??
because I think it is needed only for VS 2010 …

Thnx for you all :slight_smile:

Yea, I’ve just checked that, the .NETMF that I am using is already SDK 4.1 (QFE1) !!!

:S

You need QFE2

Woohoo! It is working! The key was QFE2. My apologies, I don’t know how I missed that. Thanks for all your help.

It works :))

Thnx a lot guys :))

hi,
I have a problem with my new FezSpider, when I plug it on my Win XP PC recognize “GHI BootLoader Interface(COM10)” without error, but when i try update firmware with “FEZSPider Firmware Updater” return “No Responce from device”; so i tried connect with Hyperterm and download TinyBooter File, but when i try to RUN Firmware return “Bad Firmware”. I tried all way… reinstal usb driver, use a Win/7 Pc… nothing… dont work! can someone help me? Thank you.

Sorry for my bad english.