Making Gadgeteer and NETMF truly affordable

@ Simon from Vilnius

I though you can buy anything you want :wink:

@ Simon, yes we can because with 100 bucks you can afford a Cerbuino Bee; just wait 2 or more months, and save those pennies. Arduino apparently came about because BASIC Stamp by Parallax was too expensive http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hands-on/the-making-of-arduino

PEACE AND LOVE… PEACE AND LOVE…

Let’s all agree to disagree and find other less disruptive subjects to discuss.

4 Likes

godefroi was right: you must really be joking… Just wait two months. Right. Have you been a $100/month student? I was. And I think I was a very rich student, compared to all students in the world.

Once again, this topic is not about US residents or those in a few welthiest EU countries. The world does not end there (although people in those countries tend to think so, I’ve experienced that myself while living abroad).

P.S. According to your quotation, Gadgeteer takes BASIC Stamp’s position now? :slight_smile:

Yeah, I guess we can pretty much close the topic. I found what I wanted to find, and I cannot say I’m happy about it.

You are right. Nobody was. GHI publicly said “thank you” after receiving the gift. I see a tendency of blowing out of proportion everything lately.

1 Like

Yes, this got way out of proportion. Considering that I’ve been $15 dollar a month student in a developing nation, I understand the costs incurred with obtaining cutting edge technology.

Back then we were using PIC16s cus it was $6 and because I couldn’t afford to purchase the programmer from Microchip, we build our own (open source one) for $15 (seen in the foreground of the pic). In the background of the pic you can see how far we’ve come now.

Is this the brand new fully recyclable electronics housing I see there :smiley:

@ Rienhard, Actually it was the box the Xbee came in so yea :smiley: Up-cycling FTW.

I’m in the U.S. I ship USPS first class.

I don’t think they’re buying the parts from Digi-key. I have several here. They work great.

If Gadgeteer needs a charity to keep it alive, then maybe it’s time to move on to something else?

In my world, vendors send me gifts to thank me for the thousands or millions of dollars I send them. Maybe your world is different…

@ godefroi - OK OK we will shut the website down and stop making anything gadgeteer. :slight_smile: just kidding of course.

Happy Holidays!

I don’t agree with your premise, but I support your decision to leave.

3 Likes

Please, do not feed the trolls!

Gus, it was you that said it:

I’m not arguing that you should do that (I certainly wouldn’t be buying any), but when someone drives a truck full of money up to my door…

@ Mike - I’m sorry dissenting opinions offend you.

@ Gus - If you want me to leave, all you have to do is terminate my account. You owe me nothing. I’ve never redeemed points for a discount, and I’ve only ever tried to be helpful.

If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking.
― Benjamin Franklin

@ godefroi - we do not terminate accounts but Mike said enough.

@ Gus - Until you decide to terminate my account, I’ll continue to do my best to help the community.

By the way, major contributors to the community have chosen to leave because of the reluctance to think critically around here. Two have contacted me privately and expressed thanks and support for the information and opinions I have posted.

Believe me, there are members who think that you do more damage than help. I have yet to see a really helpful post from you.