Lets take over the world

It’s not visible on the picture, but there is two layers of components, actually 2 communicating mainboards. Two more are coming, but the first stage is complete, the drone is flying and communicating with the ground station.

And a small USB “modem” to connect to the groundstation.

A computer is close to be ready to go onboard for the real time image analysis, and the groundstation is under development by our team

Hope to share soon a video with our drones & helicopters :wink:

6 Likes

Amazing!!!

A Raptor plus a Hydra, that’s some serious horsepower you’re wielding!

@ GMISoft - Very cool! So, is the Raptor doing guidance & stability also or is another board doing that part and the Raptor is just doing data things?

@ ianlee74 : Raptor is doing

• Communication management (since we communicate through radio, we must be sure that the message we receive is correct & complete)
  • GPS guidance & stabilisation (in addition of an autopilot module that I plan to replace by a home made one in the latest phase)
  • High-level auto-pilot : so regarding on what kind of machine the card is (Heli, plane, hexacopter, boat, rover…) specific sequence will be initiated to takeoff, land, turn go ahead… to provide a common interface of control to the onboard computer
  • System control : Battery check for computer & machine
  • Data centralization unit for the other mainboard
  • Auto-pilot : Obstacle avoidance, position keeping,…

and the Cerberus is dedicated to the distance sensor (5 in fact) to ensure a precise distance measurement

I now need to build two more card, one to manage the communication system which will be extended with the cellular phone module and a “satellite ready module” and the second one for the management of thermal engine, to power on/off, check the engine and tank health,…

After that, when everything is tested and validated => Go to PCB !

:wink:

Very cool project indeed. Just curious, how many lines of code are we talking about?

@ njbuch : Around 12 millions for the whole project… including Gadgeteer, Image analysis, IA, groundstation,…

And I did the easy part… :wink:

Anyone attending the 2014 Global Internet of Things Day?
http://iotevents.org/details/2014-internet-of-things-day

I wish there was something near Chicago. You would think a city of nearly 3 million would have some interest in IoT . . . oh well.

Thanks for the heads up @ skeller as that could be something to plan around. I’m going to see what I can do about getting an event in Calgary.

@ skeller - Thanks, indeed. If I organize one of these through NashMicro, would you be interested in a road trip down to Nashville? Perhaps you and Skewworks could carpool?

@ ianlee74 - I have to check my schedule to see if I can get away. That particular week is busy.
I think it would great if the .net mf community could be apart of the day.

It looks like there’s enough interest locally that I’m going to be organizing a hackathon for this. Unfortunately, the actual “IoT Day” is the 9th (a Wednesday) and not really a good day for a hackathon. So, it looks like its going to happen on the 5th (Saturday). If anyone is interested in coming down (up or over) or helping sponsor the event, let me know.

It would be fantastic if we had a Gadgeteer CC3000 module before this event!!! Wired connections are a pain to have to deal with at this sort of event.