L298 motor driver is getting very hot

Hi, i’ve got a problem with l298 motor controller, after 5-10 seconds of driving its getting very hot and slow down a motor.
I am using this battery pack: http://www.teamorion.com/supercharge-1600-stick-pack-7-2v-nimh-w-trx-plug-16-awg-slash-and-e-revo-1-16-en-2.html

Mainboard is Cerbuino bee. L298 connected to the 1-st socket.

Any advices will be appreciated!!!

Motors are too big? Too much load?

1 Like

@ Alex Bilityuk - What motor(s) are you driving with it. If using two motors does only one motor slow down and what happens if you switch motor connections, is it the same motor or channel?

1 Like

Hi, i am driving with only one 380 Monster Truck motor wich is situated on Anderson RC chassis. Here is a Chassis: http://www.rcmart.com/anderson-mrx4arr-mrx4-wmotor-600mah-batt-p-10364.html

380 motors can draw up to 20amps while the L298 can only handle up to 3amps…

1 Like

Those are BIG motors and can draw 8+ amps depending on the gearing so they are most likely too big for the L298 which is rated to 3amps or about 120 watts total.

I think you are going to need a bigger motor controller to drive it.

1 Like

The best idea for something like your project will be to use a RC speed controller hooked up to a P socket.

1 Like

Thank all for reply!

@ Dave McLaughlin -
Can you advice a bigger motor controller to drive the motor please?

@ Justin -
Very interesting suggestion. I’ve bought the chassis without RC speed controller, but i can buy it for this purpose. I could hook up a servo via a PWM pin and control it by generating a pulse (1.25 ms for “left”, 1.50 ms for “neutral”, 1.75 ms for “right”). Can you explain how to control RC speed controller using a P socket. Can i adjust the speed and direction via a P socket? Any source samples or manuals would be perfect…

Exactly the same as the servo, control it via a PWM pin on a P socket.

1 Like

@ Justin -
Do you meen it should be: 1.25 ms for “BACKWARD”, 1.50 ms for “MOTOR STOP”, 1.75 ms for “FORWARD”).

Left/Right or Fwd/Back or CW/CCW all depends on your perspective on the motor (looking from front or back) and how you wired the motor.

More accurate to say : 1.25 ms for one direction, 1.50 ms for STOP, 1.75 ms for other direction, and if you don’t like the direction, swap the polarity on the DC motor or invert the timing in your code.

1 Like

@ mcalsyn -
Thank you! I will try to hook up the “RC Speed Controller” instead of "Motor Driver L298 Module " to PWM and reconnect the 380 Monster Truck motor to the RC Speed Controller.

Value in between stop and fwd/rev will give you speed control. Same with the steering servo, it will be proportional.

1 Like