It's Cold at GHI

The nature is out of balance

We had 10F this morning with real feel below zero. And it shows +71F for Saturday.

A had a water pipe freeze overnight and it just burst! Not fun, with wet basement carpet and no water. I am just glad I was home to shut off the water main. :open_mouth:

@ Gus - I have a vacation home further north. During cold snap pipe in upstairs water closet burst. Didn’t find out for seven (!) days…insurance company had an escape clause to avoid paying, was a huge mess (legally and structurally)… Need to put some environmental FEZ monitoring in the place :clap:

Luckily, we survived without power loss or pipes bursting… However my shower was pretty cold this morning due to the fact my pipes run underneath my house from the hotwater heater (which is a design flaw seeing it is one room away). Had only hot water on and the water was slightly chilly.

Here it is

Meanwhile somewhere in Europe, trees and flowers are blossoming…

An IoT water main shutoff that senses when there’s water usage when there shouldn’t be and turns water off at the main is a good idea!

theres your problem… North America's big freeze seen from space - BBC News

That’s why I left Saskatchewan 20 years ago. Spending the prior 30 years in Prairie winters was enough.

“Embarrass, Minnesota, experienced the lowest temperature in the nation on Tuesday: -37C (-35F), colder than readings recently recorded on Mars by the Mars Rover.”

No wonder the couldn’t come up with a better name for the town…

1 Like

Looks like I am going to have to clean up my office and workshop now.

http://www.kptv.com/story/24399964/hell-michigan-freezes-over

4 Likes

We just been ‘skiing’ in the Bavarian Forrest, where usually is plenty of snow in January:
+10°C, no snow at all.
Looks like all the cold air drifts to North America these days.

Some of those are like a scene from that movie, The Day After Tomorrow. Amazing to look at but spooky.

As much as we like to complain about this unusually large snowfall, we don’t have it as bad as these guys:

Aomori, Japan - Average snowfall: 263.4" (669cm)

Call me crazy but I have always wanted to have that much snow and have to drive through “snow cannons” like those. :smiley:

Coming from the engineer who wanted to close the company because of it being -2F :wink:

You mean “snow canyon”. This wouldn’t be much fun to drive through… :wink: