Is Maker fair shutting down?

This is sad news. Thoughts?

There’s a lot going on now with open source software and open source hardware, as you know Gus. Things have changed in the last 13 years and it might be that the Make community has outgrown print media and a for profit company like Maker Faire. Is it now kind of like county fairs and state fairs where they are organized more locally? We had a Faire coming up later this year in southwest Missouri, wondering if it will happen now? I think “Make Education” is thriving ; STEM /STEAM has totally caught on around the country and internationally.

1 Like

So, how does (or close to) not for profit work?

I can understand getting young ones started on a platform, which assumed, will be the platform that they may take into professionalism and thereby young sprouts grow in to big trees. Also assume once grown these young professionals would be willing to pay for upgraded services, tools and such based on learned platform.

But how does one (company) survive the intermediary?

Perhaps this is an old-school view and also working at and running companies where productivity is key…for something like 25 years.

The cost of tooling and such, with known stuff that works (don’t need to dig around the internet’s for this and that, training on-the-fly, etc) seems, IMO, the more productive way to go?

With engineers starting at rates of $100K here in Idaho (maybe double in the SV) paying for tools that produce is a no-brainier.

Yes, I see Maker Media was a for profit company, but why would any company want to not be profitable? How has profitability been outgrown?

Again, just opinion but do not understand. Asking questions is the best way to learn…so I ask…!

I think it speaks volumes. Makers were to be the source of new startups and technologies but while the ideas are there, the traction and cash to make them happen isn’t. I know folks love free, but you can develop a product for free.

2 Likes

This is disturbing news. Imagine if during the middle of the height of the 80’s personal computer boom, that a major computer fare suddenly went under. Perhaps it was just overreach and financial mismanagement?

With American tax laws, not-for-profits are possible. There are people who work in the non-profit world and make an income. It is possible to charge money for services as a non-profit and still not make a profit. (interesting to note that in many countries, non-profit foundations and like community services do not exist–government is suppose to provide all services). I note that a good many American super-pro athletes have “foundation” after their names ; possibly as a tax play. So, for a profitable tech company (MS or Apple or Google or Amazon) to take a maker publisher under its wing as a service to the maker world, might be of benefit to that company --for publicity good will . Just a thought.

Often the real story is never told…,.