Is it a job or a hobby?

I think anyone who is married will appreciate this story.

On Sunday around 9 am, I tell my wife that I am going to work on a project for a few hours and then I am going to start watching the Sunday games. Her response to me was short and to the point:

“It’s work Monday through Friday, on Sunday it’s a hobby, here is what I need you to do before the games start…”

2 Likes

@ Gary - In fact, I made my Boss pay me to do my Hobby :clap:
Even if I sometimes have to do stuff I dont like that much :think:

@ Gary - If it puts food on the table, it’s not a hobby. And work can be fun, especially if you can get someone to pay you for what others would call a “hobby”. :slight_smile:

One large benefit of having kids who are 8 and 11 is that it provides wide latitude to turn what would otherwise be my hobbies into family activities. :whistle:

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - I don’t think my “Boss” fully appreciates the distinction between having a job and having a job that doesn’t feel like work. But needless to say, I did what I was told! :open_mouth:

@ devhammer - My 11 year old is just getting interested, I let him help me a little this weekend and showed him a few small things with LEDs, everyone loves things that go blink in the night!

1 Like

I got a similar sort of reaction at the weekend when I told her the V8’s were on this weekend so I wouldn’t be able to do anything until they finished. I got to watch in peace but she managed to keep me busy after though, on both Sat and Sun. :frowning:

@ Dave McLaughlin - I don’t know about you but it’s worth it to me. I don’t mind the “to do list” if it allows me to watch the games and work on my fun stuff at home in peace.

I’ll consider this thread my virtual men’s group therapy… I also got some serious flack for being preoccupied with gadgets this weekend (actually the flack started just before Halloween).

“Why, when there are obviously more important house projects to work on?”

I have never been able to come up with a good answer. Well, good from my wife’s point of view anyways. Here’s the catch - there will always be “more important projects” inserted above this hobby on my to do list as long as I’m not in absolute control of that list…

I don’t understand how (or why) anyone would want to waste time watching the games when there’s so much fun stuff left to do… I gave up any interest in sports a long time ago. Well, except for those that my kids are actually playing.

1 Like

Agree with you on this, though I do still watch some football, but usually when I have another task to accomplish that doesn’t require full mental engagement.

That’s generally the look I get when I do anything that doesn’t involve what she wants done.

@ ianlee74 @ devhammer - I love my Sunday afternoons watching football with the boys, eating all the stuff that my wife won’t normally let us eat.

I guess if my kids liked it, I would enjoy it more. However, I generally find that after about 15 mins in front of the tube my mind is either wandered off to my current project or I’ve fallen asleep. :frowning:

@ ianlee74 that’s an age thing!!! :smiley:

Are you calling me “old”???! Them there be fightin’ words! :wink:

1 Like

Falling asleep during football on a Sunday afternoon is a feature, not a bug. It’s called a nap. :wink:

This time tomorrow… Forgot what I was going to say now. :smiley:

Until you start snoring and people start throwing stuff at you… Then its called frustration. :slight_smile:

Ah, but the sight and sounds of a thundering V8 are enough to tear me away from anything for a few hours. 8 hours though for the Bathurst endurance race. :whistle:

It’s my one and only sport that I watch. Everything else is boring. :slight_smile:

1 Like