Is GHI comming out with a new module?

Will GHI be coming out with a new module any time soon that will fit in between the EMX and the ChipworkX as far as processor speed ?

so far, no

You guys really should. I am so glad i have GHI products, and their services and forum is the best!!!
However i really wish you guys would have made something like the Topaz i.MX25 CPU Module or the Meridian Module. I love the small form factor for both modules. I plan on sticking with GHI because if it was not for them i would not have gotten this far so i have to be a loyal customer.
Thus the desire to prod you guys to make other modules :wink:

Thanks for the support. I understand what you say but you are asking critical questions on a public forum. Try to ask Apple when will iPhone5 be available :slight_smile:

BTW, you should always compare this http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/Library%20Documentation/Index.html
to what other companies offer and you should also call the phone number listed on the website and talk to the developers about your needs.

sorry if i did a no,no buy posting that. Didn;t think it was such a big deal as they are no competition at all.

[quote]BTW, you should always compare this http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/Library%20Documentation/Index.html
to what other companies offer and you should also call the phone number listed on the website and talk to the developers about your needs.[/quote]

That is exactly my point, GHI has so much over them they cannot possibly compete. Which is why i am sticking with you guys.

hy Gus,

Arduino is about to launch a new board with 96 Mhz processor… I think with this kind of “power” + not using .Net, this would great “quite” a gap of speed between this new upcoming product and yours.

Like many other guys, I enjoy using .Net Microframework but if there is a “too big” power gap between easy to use products (arduino and yours), I think this could lead some users to go back or switch to arduino nor netduino in the feature.

I was there for the announcement and talked to the arduino people about it :slight_smile:

Once you’ve had NETMF there is no going back… :wink:

I’m confident GHI will keep us competitive from a hardware perspective.

I second this.

[quote]Once you’ve had NETMF there is not going back…

I’m confident GHI will keep us competitive from a hardware perspective.[/quote]

I think some users forget the software side of things. There are hundreds/thousands of boards out in the market but no one wants to go through a 1000+ page datasheet to learn how to toggle a pin. This is was somewhat okay on the little 8bit micro used now on arduino but I am curious on how users will like it when they see the cortex datasheet!

They also forget about stepping in code, forget about intellisense in VS2010 :slight_smile:

Either way, GHI got you covered, for now and in future 8)

Reading data sheets like that has been my life since day one. I have no problem with that and is the norm for me. I figure if a guy wants to toggle a pin and does not want to do the homework involved they must not want to toggle it to bad.

I just hope you guys would seriously consider a smaller & faster module. Maybe not re-inventing the weel by using the ChipworksX processor and slicing down the flash / ram size to something like the EMX has and only bring out the most popular pins rather then all of them so you can get the size down and the cost.

It all comes down to where only you can add value to a project. For example…

Part of my job at the university involves building things. I have mills, lathes, etc, etc at my disposal. I ‘could’ potentially make every nut and screw used on a project but it would be a huge waste of my time. Unless I need a truly unique fastener I would not dream of creating it from scratch, it is a much better use of my time to build only the pieces that can’t be bought off the shelf and buy the nuts and bolts. (Not to mention that the nuts and bolts will be made by people specializing in fasteners and I will be able to know with great confidence how they will preform.)

The same goes for electronics hardware and software as well. I have the capability to pour through huge data sheets to figure out how to get a processor configured to toggle a pin but 99.999% of the time that adds no value to my project. With all the time I wasted just figuring out how to toggle a pin I could of had a proof of concept completed using NETMF. It is the same idea as fasteners; I am using ‘off the shelf’ IP and then spending my limited time on the parts of the project that only I can do.

JDal I think you missed the point.

High level languages mean programmers can move further away from writing code specifically for the “platform” they’re running on. When all you had was machine code, you had to know the depths. Then came compilers for languages like BASIC and C, and the evolution started; you could write “standard” compliant code and compile it to run on any platform. Higher level languages means you can focus more on solving the problem than on the constructs of the hardware you’re running on.

NetMF allows you to step away from the depth of those details in the datasheet. ChipworkX is a different chip to EMX and to USBizi, but your code doesn’t need to know that; you don’t need to read the datasheet to find out how to set up the register values to get the serial port working, and you don’t need to figure out how it’s different between these platforms (or netduino or any other netmf board).

Netmf is the abstraction layer that allows you to leave a lot of that behind. Sure GHI have given us a mechanism to step back down to hardware level if needed (RLP) that gives us more power when the framework constructs don’t suit our applications/uses, but in general having this leap away from the datasheet and into the application means we focus more on the outcome than on the journey. That at the end of the day is the reason you’re designing and producing a system, your end users.

ya, i was a bit crude there looking back at it. I got the point though. I get cheesed sometimes when a new guy comes into software programming at this day and age when everything is so much simpler.

When they run into a little hitch (I.E. toggling a pin) they cry wolf right away because they are lazy to do a little work, like reading. Back when i started, before the “net” age where there was no simple google search for your answer which you more or less just copied and pasted that code and continued on with what your doing never really taking the time to understand what you just copied did.

I guess i am a bit jealous of the new guys getting into embedded programming, whether it be .netmf or any other language. all the hard work i went through starting with assembler on my own and working my way up on my own. All the long, long hours put in, and for what ? The way things are going my knowledge of assembler is pretty much useless.

WOW, where did all that comes from?