IoT standards?

Has anyone from GHI looked at https://www.iotivity.org/

Supposedly, it’s an industry group defining interface standards for IoT devices regardless of manufacturer.

Will GHI be involved?

[quote=“wbsimms”]
Supposedly, it’s an industry group defining interface standards for IoT devices regardless [/quote]
Last count I’ve seen for consortia and standardization groups that target the IoT space was 150…

There are some heavyweights, e.g. the AllSeen Alliance, the Industrial Internet Consortium or the OPC Foundation, that’s just the ones that come to my mind immediately.

If someone wants to work with such a group, the first problem is which one to choose :wall:

Cuno

6 Likes

@ Cuno - hence the word - Standards - :think:

1 Like

[quote=“Cuno”]

Yes. My experience with such groups is it’s a huge time suck which doesn’t go anywhere. Besides, IoT is supposed to use the “Internet”, right? I think that standard is set.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“Cuno”]

I strongly support standardization, and believe there should be many different standards for everything. ::slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh, I remember the time when standards had names like “Creative Labs SoundBlaster compatible” :whistle:

5 Likes

@ Cuno - You can form your own group - problem solved! :wink:

I would definitely join Cuno’s group.

1 Like

Cool :dance:

Actually, we [em]have[/em] selected a protocol that we think will be a very good choice for many IoT applications. I’ll unveil this in my talk at [em]Embedded World[/em] in Nürnberg on February 26 :wink:

Cuno

6 Likes

@ Cuno - I tried to make it this year, I just couldn’t get my schedule in line.

Oh my… me too.

@ Cuno - will we be able to view your talk online after the event?

Ah, I have no idea… I’ve been to Embedded World before, but never to one of the talks there, just the exhibition.

Related note.

We’re building AllJoyn functionality into Windows 10. It’s not that we’ve decided on a single standard, just that this is one that has momentum, and is something we can include in the box to provide additional value.

Pete

1 Like