Introp without RLP

Hello. I wish to deploy some native code to my Spider kit without using RLP.

The documentation clearly shows how to achieve this however it requires
running the SolutionWizard to build a runtime .net mf.
The package I have from GHI seems to be already built and does not come with
the software/template required to run the solutionwizard.

Is there a way to create managed/native dll/pe and deploy to an existing deployment?

thanks

Why do you want to do that? Using RLP is much, much easier then recompiling the firmware… which requires a compiler that cost over $10,000 if you want to do it right.

If you are about DIY then use one of the open source boards, like hydra and cerb-family.

A couple reasons.

I am developing course material for a architecture course I will pitch
to the local University and I want full control of how the calls transfer
control.

I also would like to be able to port to another hardware platform if required.

DIY? (do it yourself?)

I like the Spider kit as a teaching tool but the cost maybe an issue.

cheers

Although looking at the Hydra kit is very impressive.
I will definitely pickup that kit and check it out.
thanks for the tips!
cheers

My thoughts were that if you want to be compiling native code without using RLP then you need to consider one of the open source options like Hydra you’re looking at. The Closed Source of USBizi and EMX (Spider’s core uC module) means you would need to get GHIs blessing and code.

Hi Dale,

RVCT (the RealView compiler) is probably the best compiler to use for NETMF. It is included with the ARM MDK which costs $4,895 MSRP, but I understand that there’s academic pricing available as well. It’s the same compiler included in the highest-end RVDS (Professional) tools which, when combined with expensive ARM debug hardware as Gus alluded, can cost more than $10,000.

Microsoft and members of the NETMF community have done a lot of work to enable GCC support for the newer micros. Quite a bit of this updated GCC compiler support is coming with the new .NET MF 4.2 QFE2 release. GCC won’t give you the tightest and fastest code like RVCT, but it is both free and open source–two pluses for education.

Runtime object code injection techniques like GHI RLP can provide a flexible way to link compiled native code to firmware on the fly. For integrating drivers, adding rich features, porting NETMF and getting the highest flexibility and performance…integrating and compiling your code with the NETMF source tree gives you the ultimate freedom (while giving up some convenience and requiring larger compiles).

Chris

Keep in mind that, currently, at least, even though the Cerberus family is open source, it still requires RVDS to compile.

This is where fez hydra come in handy. It is the most powerful open source offer and does support GCC, yet it is very affordable. It even runs Linux as an option so it is perfect for education and DIY projects.

What is your evaluation of the G400 along these same parameters?

I mean I would love to help with development, but at $5000 just to compile - I just don’t see it.

G400 is not open source.