INTRONIX vs Saleae

I have an early-model Saleae Logic 24 (24 MS/s, 8 inputs, and now discontinued) that I have been looking to upgrade, and the INTRONIX seems well represented among folks here.

From what I have seen so far, the Saleae software is a lot more polished, and the Saleae Pro models offers USB3.0 and analog capture too, but maybe there is something about the INTRONIX (other than way more pins for less money) that I am overlooking.

Suggestions anyone?

@ mcalsyn: I have the Saleae Logic 8 (digital only) and Logic Pro 8 (analog and digital). The Logic 8 has always worked fine, but the newer Logic Pro is problematic. On my desktop PC running Win8.1/64, it runs for one capture and then crashes. I have reported this to Saleae several times but they do not have a solution.
On my Surface Pro 3 it works well, if you can consider capturing perhaps 10 sessions before crashing.
The software looks great, and being able to record an analog waveform, not just digital, can be a big help.

I recently got a Pro 16 at work. I have the older Logic at home (sounds like yours). The new one supports chip voltages down to 1.2 (only the Pro 16 as I recall). The analog signals seem like a good idea but most computers don’t have the resources to handle them. Since I really cared about the digital signals, I turned off the analog capture and then I could take another capture without having to wait 30s or more for the software too do whatever it does when you start a capture. Since I don’t use such low voltages at home, I am sticking with my Logic.

As far as the software goes, I would hate to us the INTRONIX stuff if you think that Saleae is more polished. I find it incredibly annoying to use from an ease of use perspective. For instance, it has no triggering to speak of. Luckily it does have the ability to do a long capture, so it works for repeatable problems, but not so well for elusive ones. I have not found a way o make the traces bigger when I am only using a few channels. It doesn’t really support touch, pinch to zoom would be really nice. It doesn’t have “dead space” compression, to make it easy to see more of the interesting stuff.

I think you’re probably right - I’ve been impressed with the original Saleae, but it sounds like the grass is less pretty but more usable on the INTRONIX side. INTRONIX is also cheaper and only does what I actually need (analyze digital protocols). I am leaning toward upgrading to the INTRONIX instead of a newer Saleae pro.

@ mcalsyn - maybe this is an alternative http://www.ikalogic.com.

My Saleae Logic 8 has been awesome. The SW seems extremely polished (to me anyway)

My Saleae LogicPro16 is one of the best buys I have made in recent times. The software is currently in Beta but seems very stable and polished.

@ andre.m - ScanaPlus and Scanalogic EDU Kit

@ andre.m - if you can live with only 4 inputs that’ll be OKish, but for anything more … the Plus will be on hand (has got 9 inputs and more MSPS). The accompanying SW is a bit getting used to. The Saleae SW is (IMHO) more feature rich. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but f.e. I couldn’t get the (hex) values displayed on the signal graph.

Reading the probs in the previous topic, with the price of these thingies you can’t do that much wrong, however for serious work I’d recommend a good DSO from a decend brand but that has its price though.

I decided to upgrade my old Logic Sniffer last week to a Saleae Logic 8. It should be here by Wed. The Logic Sniffer was a great idea and was somewhat useful but it is another example of an open source project that never really went anywhere beyond v1.0. For some reason, I can’t get it to do anything anymore. I’ll blame it on the Win10 upgrade but, honestly, its been over a year since I tried to use it and a lot of other things have changed on my PC since then.