Introducing G400-D, the most advanced NETMF SoM yet!

Also try Maxim. Quad UART with SPI and I2C.

Good!!! I did not have the time yet to search for these productsā€¦ I am always surprised by those like you who can remember themself such device partsā€¦

So may be using the G400 for our next solution will be possible: best performances, possibility to expand easily the number of IOs/RS232ā€¦ and so onā€¦ Go on GHI we are expecting this device asap!!! :slight_smile:

@ leforban - In the design we are working out right now with the G120 we also split things up to get the necessary IOā€™s and ports free, we have give up the display support in the main module and creating a separate display module based on the G120 thatā€™s communicating with the main controller over the internal CAN bus. This way we also can create extra modules for extending functionality in the future and distribute the actual load over separate controllers.

Both of the boards I bought as an intro to NETMF are limited (Cerb40) and/or legacy (Domino) and Iā€™m looking for my first ā€œrealā€ board. Iā€™m considering the Cobra2, but I might be able to hold out for this one for another week (Q2 begins in 7 days).
The only G400 based item with a price is the beta-kit for $99. Is that the approximate final price for the basic G400 kit?? Seems cheap compared to the Cobra2 for the same price.
Is the G400 most likely to be released next week or next month?

Would ā€œeveryone elseā€ upgrade their Cobra2 to the G400 if money wasnā€™t an issue?
Is there any reason I should prefer the Cobra2?

Thanks, Jon

What are you planning to use it for?

Very unlikely it will be released in the next week. I would think there would be a beta
period with limited access to the G400 before general public release.

With no inside knowledge, I would say it will be at least 3 to 4 months before public availability.

You can not compare the price of a beta kit with the price of a released product. The low price is to encourage beta testers, but often the beta boards is an earlier version than what is released to the public.

If you want to ā€œupgradeā€ in the next few weeks, the Cobra 2 is the way to go.

@ Architect - Specifically, Iā€™d like my finished product to be a UAV autopilot. In thinking ahead, I saw a huge second breadboard covered in pots and buttons for debugging functions, adjusting trims, min/max, etcā€¦ a nightmare. I thought, instead of that, Iā€™d just get a TFT and add ā€˜buttonsā€™ to it, giving me universal adjustability of everything on the fly without having to tweak, and deploy, tweak, and deploy, tweak, and deployā€¦

I am confident the Cerb40 can handle the finished product and fly but, for debugging, I would really prefer a TFT with touch and the heap on the Cerb40 is too small for even my little 2.8" screen. Now that I understand the limitations of the two boards Iā€™ve already bought, I want to make sure my next one is what I actually need right now for developing. I keep hitting roadblocks because of limitations I wasnā€™t aware of or didnā€™t fully understand, although I donā€™t consider any of my money wasted since Iā€™ve learned so much.

Do you agree with Mike? Are there any boards you prefer over the Cobra2?

@ Mike - Out of curiousity, what goes into a beta of a hardware board? Is it 99% firmware tweaking or are component values frequently adjusted too? In designing my circuits, the best practice that I have is to use a familiar value and scope it. Is the process considerably different when you actually know what youā€™re doing?

beta boards may not function - or they may be exactly the same as the one that gets released. But you canā€™t tell for sure. GHI have usually done internal tests and revisions of the board so they expect this stuff to work, they just are now putting it into the hands of people to test and to help firm up the functions in the firmware. So largely itā€™s a ā€œpretty complete hardwareā€ with a ā€œmore fluid firmwareā€ that might not have all the features you want from the outset.

If you really think about your scenario, there are ways to achieve what you want. Heck, a nice GUI on a PC with a link to an XBEE directly, or even talking to the Domino over a direct serial link and some other radio method, that then programs/adjusts parameters on your Cerb40 running the UAV, would be more than workable. When Justin comes online (UK timezone) heā€™ll tell you about his G120 based autopilot :slight_smile:

What is the maximum screen res on the G400?

Just might be about time to start a autopilot threadā€¦

From the mcu data sheet it looks like the max is 800x600. I hope I looked at the right data sheet :slight_smile:
http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel_11053_32-bit-ARM-926EJ-S-Microcontroller_SAM9G35_Datasheet.pdf

That is a bummer. Iā€™m currently doing 800x600 on a ā€œslowā€ EMX module. Was hoping for more on this 400MHz beastā€¦

will this module open sources?

I donā€™t think so. This is a premium offer.

How much power does this use (in active and sleep modes) and can you underclock it to lower power even more?

Wondering if it can be operated off a battery backed up solar panelā€¦

If you guys havenā€™t finalized the hardware yet, being able to enable/disable various subsystems to save power is helpfulā€¦

@ kenyee - Welcome to the forum!

If it is not there, you should be able to do that with Register class or using RLP.

Iā€™ll certainly want one for my ChipWorkX dev board! Given the price of the ChipWorkX maybe you can give owners of the dev system priority seats in the beta? Iā€™m not sure how you can verify ownership (maybe through the MAC on the module?) as Iā€™m pretty sure I no longer have the receipt and I bought through a retailer. But I think it would only be fair to give priority to your most loyal fans that payed extra for your premium offeringsā€¦

Saw Dangerous Prototypes posted this today as well ! I reposted on FB.

As soon as the hardware is finished, please share the pinout and how is it related with gadgeteer sockets.
Thanks.

Crespi.