Intel Galileo 2

Intel announced v2 recently:

What’s new with Intel Galileo Gen 2: - 6-pin 3.3V USB TTL UART header replaces 3.5mm jack RS-232 console port for Linux debug.

• New 6-pin connector mates with standard FTDI* USB serial cable (TTL-232R-3V3) and popular USB-to-Serial breakout boards.
  • 12 GPIOs now fully native for greater speed and improved drive strength.
  • 12-bit pulse-width modulation (PWM) for more precise control of servos and smoother response.
  • Console UART1 can be redirected to Arduino* headers in sketches, eliminating the need for soft-serial in many cases.
  • 12V Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) capable (PoE module installation required).
  • Power regulation system changed to accept power supplies from 7V to 15V.

V1 vs V2 comparison image: http://notebookitalia.it/images/stories/intel_galileo/intel_galileo_gen2_galileo_gen1.jpg

Also it’s a bigger board.

I’ve been testing the Galileo 1 for one of my applications, on paper it’s specification looks like great but in reality it is slow and disappointing!

1 Like

Robert,

What part of it is slow … the I/O or the processor or everything?

From what I read the I/O speeds weren’t up to snuff, and it looks like that was one of things adjusted in v2:

“12 GPIOs now fully native for greater speed and improved drive strength.”

1 Like

To experts: Will the 2nd gen be faster?

The Intel Galileo is a small linux board emulating a arduino board. The i/o is slowish (toggling pin state, pwm etc).

I believe there has been significant amount of work done in the i/o area. But still it is a small linux or windows board emulating a arduino board.

I am interested testing the Galileo i/o comparing with arduino and .netmf boards.

I have my program running on a arduino mega in comparison the Galileo significantly slower. Not only the IO. If you are familiar with the Ethernet library I found that a client.available request takes nearly 10 seconds, where as on the arduino it’s within a blink of an eye. I also found the intel would brick itself for no reason after a number of days.

I’m now trying to migrate to the cobra II … But I find trying to use .netmf frustrating, so many of the samples and documentation do not seem to add up … Thus I keep returning to the arduino platform … It’s examples are great to build from … But the hardware restricts what I need to do, such as lack of memory etc

Has anyone picked up a Galileo Gen 2? I am putting an order in at Mouser for a few ST Nucleo boards and a STM32F429Discovery, I am trying to decide if I want to throw one of these in.

At least on Galileo 1, the GPIO is done through a port expander and not through direct access of pins on the processor. That makes things a bit slower.

Pete

Galileo 2 support preview:

Looks good! The two links for downloading Galileo Windows aren’t working:

All end up on Connect so you will need to find a way to join the relevant program - perhaps those people with Galileo 2 boards are admitted or at least given instructions on how to… FYI just adding it to your dashboard from Bing doesn’t help.

Thanks Brett. I had registered with the IoT program previously, but I needed to “sign” another license agreement before I could download the Windows image.