I'm suprised noone mentioned it

The Arduino DUE (ARM-based Arduino) is available for preorder now (since yesterday): https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11589

Based on an Atmel Cortex-M3 MCU, 84 MHz, everything you’d expect. The big downside is that Atmel’s MCU IO pins aren’t 5V tolerant.

NETMF still has the ease-of-use crown, but one of these things would blow the doors off of managed code performance-wise, and because it’s Arduino, they’ll be simple to use.

Time to step up on that JIT/AOT compiler!

Yep, saw it at Adafruit also:

this one is awesome and its a pretty big stm32f4

The Arduino is especially interesting because the environment makes it terribly simple to work with. No messing with startup code, or clock setup, or register access, or anything like that.

While arduino has a huge market share and will still be for years, it is not ideal for education nor for comercial use.

Students learning with netmf can use thief knowledge with embedded or pcs, thanks to visual studio.

Commercial users will find higher quality and standards with netmf and high end features, like SSL and real graphics.

Note that I am not bragging about GHI products, which I would gladly do, but talking about netmf itself. And of course gadgeteer.

Running on ARM, and with 512KB flash and 96KB of RAM, none of it taken up by an interpreter, lots of possibilities open up. OpenSSL, lwIP, Cairo, lots of things are possible when you’re using a plain ol’ C compiler.

I’m not saying it’s better, I’m just saying that the competition is getting better, and one of the big former advantages of NETMF (32-bit vs 8-bit) just got eliminated.

If you are going that far then this is not “arduino” anymore.

I agree that the processor without interpreter is FAST but then this is no different than anything else on the market. Also, going that advanced with no debugger is extremely difficult, or impossible.

Arduino will sell millions but this will not take any from netmf market share. My personal opinion.

I’m not sure you understand, Gus. This is certainly Arduino. It’s called the “Arduino DUE” and it’s from the Arduino people: http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=243

It uses the Arduino GUI (based on Processing), so it’s extremely simple and easy-to-use. It, just like all the other Arduino boards, will be able to be used from Eclipse as well, and it’s only a matter of time before someone works out on-chip debugging, because that’s a feature that’s built into the chip.

It might not steal much NETMF market share (because the NETMF market isn’t even a meaningful rounding error compared to the Arduino market), but as a competitor to NETMF, it’s miles ahead of the previous Arduino boards.

Mines in the mail. Seems the v1.5 IDE and existing library ports for this are all very beta. I’ll (eventually) post some first impressions.

I agree on the commercial use, but not ideal for education? Really? I’ve introduced plenty of folks to microcontroller fun the “Arduino way” and it works very well as a learning tool, IMO. I would go as far as to say it is designed specifically to be an educational tool. The biggest factor in this is the humongous amount of community created content available online.

I also don’t know why it wouldn’t be ideal for commercial use.

I agree there are many commercial products based on Arduino and growing. You should have seen all the 3D Printer companies at MakerFaire for example.