I2C Timeout

Hello,
Is there a way to customize the timeout for an I2C write/read? If not, could there be? Seems like it’s 1s right now which feels like a long time.
We have an application where it’s possible for i2c devices to be missing / not placed and we have to poll to see if they are there. That takes a long time to go through the possibilities with the 1s timeout.
Thanks,
Glen

@Glen The I2cController Class already has a timeout property that you can set to whatever TimeSpan you want.

private static void Main()
        {
            I2cController i2cController = I2cController.FromName(GHIElectronics.TinyCLR.Pins.SC20260.I2cBus.I2c1);
            i2cController.Timeout = TimeSpan.FromMilliseconds(2000);
            I2cDevice _device = i2cController.GetDevice(new I2cConnectionSettings(0x27, I2cMode.Master, I2cAddressFormat.SevenBit, 400_000, true));
        }
1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated! Looks like this was added in 2.2 so we’ll be sorted as soon as that goes to RTW.

@Glen : Hey, you should be the first person know about this feature in 2.2 :)).

Hi Dat,

Am I missing something on setting this timeout? I try to set to something smaller but it seems to stick at 2000ms.

Hi, seems it work on mine

Make sure you are in master mode. Timeout has no effect if slave.

Hi Dat,
Sorry I think that was my fault, I was calling I2cController.FromName multiple times.
Thanks,
Glen