I would like a module that has a power on/off

I could use a module like the Extender that has a switched (GPIO pin controlled) On/Off
for the 5vdc and 3V3.

Module socket to mainboard socket and output socket to another module.

I could make a circuit on something like the breabBoard module but it does not have a ‘standard’ socket for output.

A nice little module would be GREAT!

What’s the use-case you have ?

The problem with doing this is you really can’t make it generic. You have to consume the IO pin on the relay, so the downstream socket can no longer have that IO pin and it therefore likely breaks the socket definition. You could target powering a specific module if you could make sure you were using an unused pin, or if you put a DL40 for example on it to handle the downstream IO pin; you might also improve the reusability of this if you have a jumper capability so you can choose what your pin re-mapping is (consume pin 8 on closest to mainboard socket, but remap pin 8 on the downstream to pin 5 if this particular module must have it that way)

@ Brett -

really can’t make it generic…

I was thinking about that soon after I posted the suggestion. (I’m always a day late and a dollar short)

It all started using USB Host on my Raptor. (Nothing wrong with either).

I was using a USB card reader (SB) and a USB Flash . However I have a issue/problem with debugging using either Express 2010 or 2012 on my Windows 8 64bit. I cannot reliably debug because it seems that the USB Host fights the USB Client DP during deploy. Easy cure is remove the USB Host device or Reset the mainboard every time.

I want to have the USB Host device connected all the time (remote device application).

The events USBDriveConnected, USBDriveDisconnected, RemovableMedia.Eject and RemovableMedia.Insert are based on some manual action as my brain views it.

Yes, the USBDriveConnected event occurs soon after the application starts (If the event construct is in ProgramStarted) but I need to setup several things that take a bit of time before the event is received. I do not receive the event if I subscribe to the event, say on a button press.

I wanted to try a call to the USBDriveConnectedEventHandler method but I’m not smart enough to do it.

I still think it would be a nice module but it would require the use of two sockets. One for the module and one for the On/Off circuit.

Guess I’m off to building an breadboard circuit for power on/off…

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT:
You post got me thinking and I solved my problem. I can force a call to the USBDriveConnected event. I would show the code I used but it seems that Format as code in not allowed here.

yes, using two sockets would be another possible solution.

Not sure if it’s overly palatable, but it would be possible to design a new mainboard featuring this (although it’d need some extra space!)