I’m pretty excited to be getting into Gadgeteer development, my brother (who lives in another city) is always interested in doing a bit more with his circuit boards, and since I’m a c# programmer as my day job, these things sounded too good to pass up.
So I bought two Hydras, one for him, one for me which arrived yesterday. I made my own “Hello World” Equivalent using an OLED, then moved onto the ENC28 Ethernet Module which is needed for the first project and I summised from reading around the forums that I needed to flash the firmware to enable this module.
I added the SD Card module, and placed boot.bin on an SD Card and booted he Hydra with it. After waiting about 2 minutes I reset the device and then I could no longer do anything with it. Pressing update resulted in a message saying the device was not responding.
In device manager, it was showing as a ChipworkX Tinybooter firmware updater (or something to that effect) on COM3. I hooked it up to a different USB port and it became COM4, but I was unable to ping it from the flash interface or the MFDeploy application (on serial COM4)
I then tried using the command line tools “UpdateFEZHydra.bat” but again, there was nothing responding at the end of COM4. I’ve switched Reds and SD Card and attempted to start the process again, I’ve changed computers and attempted the upgrade on another machine.
Finally, I left that one over night and now it doesn’t even show up in device manager.
Anyway, so that one is probably stuffed and I took a look at the second board.
The first time I plugged it in, I tried pinging it from the Hydra upgrade and it left a message saying I had more than one Hydra plugged in (which I didn’t) so I restarted the machine which fixed that. I used a different SD Card and this time I got past clicking on the Upgrade button and it uploaded the files, then it never returned from “Waiting for your device to restart”. I left it for about 5 minutes and when it came back, restarted the device myself which didn’t help either. Having said that, at least it was now appearing as a GHI .NET Micro Framework USB Debugging Interface.
Except that none of the tools work when attempting to ping or deploy to it, everything just freezes.
So I’d like to ask if anybody else has had any experience with these issues before and if they have managed to get around it.