I/O 40 Expansion Board

Ok, so let me start by saying Hi, my name is Ben and I am a software developer. I have been working in C# for about 8 years now, and I am addicted… so its a good things I get paid to do it. I just found this whole NETMF thing Saturday and have ordered a domino to play with. I have done a bit with basic stamps, pic16, and now some with pic32… and I hate all of them!!! I am so thrilled about writing C# for microcontrollers!

Here is my question…
I see the I2C I/O 40 expansion board. I like that it will give me a bunch more pins. Is there any sample code? Can anyone tell me how using this device with the .Net framework is similar and different from using the native CPU i/o pins? Lets say I had 20 devices, some using one wire, others using I2C, and others just pure digital i/o like flipping on an LED and sensing a button push. Would I have the same object level access to a button/input device on the expansion board as I do one thats native to the CPU?

I did gloss over the ebook, nice job. I dont know if I totally agree with how it sets up saying that this will be geared for someone with no c# experience… it gets into intermediate content quickly… but thats great for me.

Thanks!

**** I already posted this in the GHI forum and the admin said they will be posting a driver shortly… but they suggested I post here. Sooooo anyone have any experience with one of these things??

The pins on the IO40 are not identical to the native pins. The internal native pins have more functionality and they run faster then they are controlled directly. The IO40 give you 40 more IOs but these are controller through I2C so there is a lot more that is needed to make a pin high or low. Also, the native pins have additional functionality like analog and PWM…etc. Where the IO40 is just IOs.

Thin of this in a simpler way, what are you trying to connect and then we can say what should go where.