How to use a 1Ghz processor in your next design!

@ VersaModule - No worries you are not going to get on my bad side, unless you say something about my kids.

#1) It’s an ecosystem of products, with different partners. The pricing for the ecosystem must make sense for the entire family of products and not just one particular product.

#2) When determining the price of a product there is a lot more to consider than the physical price of the components.

#3) You currently can’t make a fair comparison the OSD3358x family of products to the BeagleBone in pricing because of form factor and how the product is used.

#4) IMHO, I disagree with that and the razor analogy. I think that while you may look at it that way, the general “development board” customer view it differently. I could be wrong but what is the likely hood of that! :whistle:

I agree that Raspberry Pi f*ed it up for everyone else. There is no way they could sell for $35 if they weren’t a non-profit and worked out a “helluva deal” with the chip manufacturer.

@ Gary - We could compare it to the CHIP, 1GHz, 4GB, 512MB RAM, bluetooth, wifi. all for $9!
[url]https://getchip.com/[/url]

There always seems to be a misunderstanding in peoples mind between products marketed to the hobbyist market and the OEM/production market.

1 Like

@ Mr. John Smith, It is what it is. It just sucks for me because with something that costs that much I cannot just simply buy it to check it out without a reason for work, and it’s to much for me to spend my own money on it for curiosity sake.
I have to justify purchases like this it to my boss. When things get >$150 I better have a reason to get it other than saying I want to check it out.

@ VersaModule - I think at some point you have to accept that you’re not in the target market. I’m not in the target market either; that’s ok, there are target markets I AM in, this just isn’t one of them.

Also factor in the time to route it all out, prototype it, test it, etc. :smiley:

@ Gary,

#4) IMHO, I disagree with that and the razor analogy. I think that while you may look at it that way, the general “development board” customer view it differently. I could be wrong but what is the likely hood of that! Whistling

But the razor is not an analogy, its fact :wink:

Gillette Fusion Manual Razor with 2 Cartridges - $9.69
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gillette-Fusion-Razor-Manual-1ea/12514811?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=12514811&placement_id=irs-2-m2&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=d519e58c-30b0-4349-9f78-ea82df51a578&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=14071267&parent_anchor_item_id=14071267&guid=53e808a4-751a-459b-a1de-1d9faa8f15c4&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Gillette Fusion Razor Cartridge Refills - $15.46
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gillette-Fusion-Cartridges-4-count/14071267

Wish GHI had coupon options so we could sponsor purchases for others.

I have to disagree. We have many products that I feel could benefit from using the GHI module. But I am not so willing to gamble $300 to find out if it will work for us.

@ VersaModule - I buy the disposable razors, $7 for 12 of them! 8)

Options include:
Western Union, PayPal, or orders you make with different ship-to addresses.
If you want to try any of those out on me, let me know. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For those on a budget, the TH board has the GXP header (to be announced shortly) and this can be easily connected to a display of your choice. You can get the SiP/SoM evaluated, with a display, for under $150. We try our best to fulfill every budget, while still providing awesome quality made in USA products :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL! good one.

@ GUS and all others. Sorry for my ramblings. I’ll stop. FWIW, I was just so excited to get this, and when I saw the $300 price it just pulls the wind out of my sails is all. I’ll just wait to see what goodies show up next.

On a side note, just want to say thank you GHI for taking on the embedded Linux arena, i am sure it will not be disappointing for you.

@ VersaModule - Geez, did you get a private message warning you to shut up; we were just getting interesting.

Waiting for that TH module. Hope it’s got 4 mounting holes.

Ya know as I get older I voice my opinion stronger, and I need to remember to stop doing that. I don’t want to piss anyone off here.

Yup, I’ll wait. I hope it has a PHY on it as well. and there is a new smaller kit with minimal hardware connectors on it that takes the module as a plugin. So when I am done with the kit I can remove the module and re-use it :wink:

@ Mr. John Smith -

1 Like

Check in your inbox :whistle:

@ VersaModule - I am sorry I still do not see your point. The Dev board is for evaluation and will not be used in your product nor it is required to have. We have other means for you to evaluate on a budget. Isn’t the goal, for you, to have a 1Ghz processor running your product? The Dev board may not be the right product for you but this will not stop you from making the next amazing thing :slight_smile:

@ VersaModule - I doubt anyone was getting upset by your opinion, I personally was just sharing my thoughts on it.

Gus, Somehow either with my poor verbal skills or something else I you misunderstand me. I’ll try to clarify.

When you want to check out a new product to see if it will work in the ways you think it will you buy a dev kit, I get that and am used to this. Like you said, once you proven it will it’s usually never used again.

However, since one cannot use the module by itself for evaluation you have to buy the kit. Now is the rub for me personally is because the kit is $300 I have to spend $300 to check it out. Since this is a new product, if it does not work out then I’ve wasted $300. This is why I am saying a lower cost kit would be better than a full blown large one with LCD, so that it does not sting so much if it does not work out.

Hope this helps.

@ VersaModule - Check post #118 in this thread. It shows the cheaper board.