How to use a 1Ghz processor in your next design!

@ Gus - Yea, mounting holes :slight_smile:

@ Gus, thank you for the update.

Is that a GXP header ?

@ Rajesh - yes. Ready for your display.

Like this one I created for the 5" Newhaven Display with the G120. :slight_smile:

I am keen to do something like this with the new 7" high brightness displays and the SOM.

1 Like

Sexy! Except I was thinking when I wrote it that this board was Windows IoT Core compatible. Now I remember that it is not. I’d be a lot more inclined to include displays when UWP & XAML are an option.

open the pre-order, I just cant wait to get my hands on them!

Don’t push to hard… let them finishes until everything is perfect. They have only one time to give a first impression :wink:

Glad to see pricing on the new stuff. But OUCH! on the OSD3358 Development Board price. I hope you quickly going to whip up a second smaller dev board that does not sticker shock people. If you using the newhaven LCD on there, thats has to be what jacking the price way up. Throw a http://www.buydisplay.com/ LCD on there and get that price down.

1+ $299.95

@ VersaModule - Yea, I pretty much saw that price tag coming.

$80 bucks for the module. It’s a bit on the high side; but it is within my $100 dollar budget per unit cost so I’m ok with it. So long as it can protect my codebase from copies I’m all over it. Now all I need is an availability date.

I agree with you concerning the module. For me its barley borderline acceptable because for that cost it does not have a PHY, on it. Thus we are going to have to add more cost to it before it really becomes useful.

I was just so blown away with the dev kit cost.

I went from extremely excited to disappointed.

Wow looks like I was spot on.

@ VersaModule - yes the display is the killer here.

Is a $80 (single quantity) price tag for a SoM really that high when is it based on a $50 (single quantity) “chip”?

With the development board I am surprised that anyone would be shocked by the price, it’s a development board with everything on it needed to evaluate something that cost $50 in single quantity. In fact, we have had commercial customers tell us that the price is spot on and have asked us for a couple when we open up the preorders.

But there are still some People (and decision makers) who ask me all the time why we use the G120 SoM, which is sooo expencive.
Then I ask what else they would use, and I get something like: “How about the chip we use on that other board”, wich is in fact an 8-Bit AVR XMega :wall:

1 Like

Dont want to get on your bad side Gary, but a few points here.

#1) Why would you base it on the single piece price ? GHI must be making more that the first qty break of 10 at say Digi-key for $46.50. Also, Digikey has a markup where you are getting direct so I would assume that you getting it for an even a lower cost that what DK is selling them for,

#2) For many large companies $300 is no big deal. For far many others it is. Many of us make things here and we can look at the dev kit and say ok, its’t got the guts of the module +80, a power supply, several connectors and headers and a LCD. These extras cannot possibly jack the cost up another $219. Now I know many hear are fans of Newhaven LCD’s why I dont know because all of their LCD’s are expensive.

#3) a BBB has almost everything your kit offers except the LCD and 2 serial connections and costs a fraction of the price so to say “With the development board I am surprised that anyone would be shocked by the price, it’s a development board with everything on it needed to evaluate something that cost $50 in single quantity” is not really a valid reason.

#4) There is a marketing scheme I have seen, and to me it makes sense. When a company makes a development kit they make the profits minimal. Why? Because the hope is to get someone to buy the kit, get hooked on it and cause them to buy more of what you really want to be selling, which is the modules. If the kit is to costly, less people will buy it and get hooked on buying the module itself for their own products.
This can be seen even beyond kits like when you buy a razor, they sell the razor with a few blades at a low cost to get you hooked on the razor, when there whole goal is to first get you hooked on it then keep buying replacement blades where they actually make the money from.

I dont say these things to dig at GHI or you. I want GHI to be successful at this! when I first heard that GHI was doing this I was so dam happy about it. But with the kit costing that much, I just dont see allot of people going for it, and thus never buying the module.

@ VersaModule - It’s priced that way because it’s an EVAL class board. The EVAL board for the STM32F4 series µCs from ST Micro (which is the G80 product), is sold on mouser for $398.75
([url]http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32479I-EVAL/?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiSimRo0wOGt0nqGUKVIODDDF3paqQ9oMGoltKnm3WsZQ%3D%3D[/url])

The eval board for the this module’s processor (which is the same as the beagle bone black) cost $995.00 ([url]http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TMDXEVM3358/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuAysUaQfn78VwA%2FsTdNZCh[/url])

Just on that fact alone, means that it’s more cost effective to purchase this eval kit from GHI than from Texas Instruments!

I hear what your saying but that first link that board had a TON of stuff on it, so I could kinda see that.
I have no idea what TI is thinking for that second link. Anyone buying that kit just did not do enough research because to mimic that kit for a fraction of the cost all they would need to get is a BBB & LCD and /or many of the already available add on boards.

Things like this more show my point
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/ATSAMA5D3-XPLD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuRbIF9I%252bxVGLLTvbXqfNY2O87EOEkNcHE%3D

I know GHI has to pay the bills and all. I get that and though on the surface it may seem like I am trying to have them make less money but its quite the opposite really. In my prior company (which is out of business now) my boss and I would argue on pricing all the time.
There are basically 2 philosophy’s on markup. high markup and low markup. My boss had the high markup philosophy, where I have the low.
The point is, lets say you want to make a hamburger, and its a good tasting one. Are you going to sell it for a high markup for $10 or a low markup of $5 ? Sure there will be some that buy it for $10, but you wont make a living off that. If you sell it for the $5 you will sell many, many more and in fact make up the difference and beyond the high markup could ever achieve.

Likewise with the (and I hate to even say it) the Rasberry PI. Does anyone think it would have caught on like wildfire if they came out with it for $60, $80 or $120 ? Thet only reason they became wildly popular is because they sold it for such a low cost people bought it just to check it out. It’s in the quantity that you make up that extra margin as if you would have sold them for $60 or $80 bucks a pop.

@ VersaModule - Pricing is about what the market can bear. The RPI is priced that way because they aren’t expecting to make any profit at all, and they expect to reach million of people with them. The amortized cost of the design pays off in the long run.

With the Dev board, if an organization has 10 developers they aren’t going to buy 10 boards, they will buy 1 eval board, and then throw it in the closet or on ebay after they are finished with it. If it’s a community of persons, then that board is going to get passed around alot. GHI knows that they are not selling 10,000 of these boards. I’m certain Gus and Gary have a pretty good idea of the number of eval boards they are going to sell, from their previous experience in the industry. All they prob did was take the development cost in man hours and divide it by the number they think they will sell. Now, they are working on other boards that don’t have displays but still have the module + something on it. Just like the G120 module, I’m sure they are looking at bringing out other variations which have a much lower price point (around 100 bucks), and four (4) mounting holes :slight_smile:

Dev board price is what I expected. The G400 is $280. This is by far a more expensive/powerful product.

With that said. . . . . .

WHEN CAN I ORDER?!?!?!

;D ;D ;D ;D