How to tell how much memory a program will use and a couple other newbie ?s

Hi
Since the Netduino plus 2 platform I was using seems to be at the end of the line I am trying a Lemur. Things seem to be working OK but have a couple of questions. The Lemur has a smaller memory the the Netduino. How can I tell how much memory a program will use? What is the purpose of the other tools that came with the GHI SDK download? Like SAM-BA, and the STMicroelectronics/DfuSe stuff.
Using Visual Studio 2016 C#.
If you have any suggestions or questions please let me know…Thanks
Gus50310

welcome to the GHI side of NetMF :slight_smile:

Step 1:install VS2013, that’s the supported way you want to work (there are some known issues that may manifest themselves in sneaky, not obvious ways if you don’t). Just don’t tempt fate, parallel install VS2013 and you’re done.

Sam-ba is needed only for specific micros, for loading the bootloader - from memory that’s the Hydra only, but it may also be a recovery option for the G400. DFuse is similar, for the STM32F4 family of processors on the Cerberus etc. Needless to say, for the most cases you’ll never need it since GHI have provided Fez Config that should handle most of this for you.

On your memory issue, I have no suggestions except debug.gc(false) and track how you go.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Brett.
Actually I am using VS Community 2015 and not 2016 as I mentioned in the first post. Things seem to be working fine but sounds like should move back and use 2013 to be safe.
Gus50310

1 Like

yes, yes you should :slight_smile: It’s just one less variable that we know (knew) had some challenges so it’s worth removing from the equation.

Brett
Afraid getting every thing to get VS 2013 operational seems to be getting to be a bit of a chore. After the GHI SDKs are installed should GHI devices show up under Micro .Net when starting a new project?
If you have you any suggestions or questions please let me know.
Thanks
Gus50310

The full process to install what you need is documented .NET Micro Framework – GHI Electronics and should be all you need.

Can you please explain more on what you mean by “should GHI devices show up under Micro .Net when starting a new project”? There are no product specific templates there, you should simply be able to create a new netmf Console application and get the necessary shell created in your project. From there you can add references (like GHI.Pins) that will allow you to control IO on specific hardware platforms, and that’s all you should need. The references for your Lemur should then be available.

The one thing I will point out (as it’s easy to miss it) is the last point in “Step 2”, that says: Install netmfvs2013.vsix