How to solder SMT?

Here you go…have fun :slight_smile:

Part 1: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEEV3AZjRMM[/url]
Part 2: [url]- YouTube
Part 3: [url]- YouTube
Part 4: [url]- YouTube

Disclaimer: I have been soldering for about 20 years!! Fine pitch SMT for about 10 years!! I never went to school for soldering and never learned from anyone…My techniques can be all wrong but you bet I have never had problem with soldering and no chip is too difficulty for me to do, using the same simple technique. So, use at you own risk and have fun!

Watching now, looks great!

EDIT: Josh, can you please put “I have ruined many tables in the past” under Gus’s forum name, please? :smiley:

Great video Gus. You made it look easy.

Good show.

What is the board finish ? Hot Air Levelled ?

I added more. If it doesn’t work then you have to try in 5 minutes…youtube is encoding now!

Yes, cheap lead-free HASL

You made that look easy. I’ve never seen solder that thin though, what make/model was it?

You can use any solder…I do not like lead free though. I could do it with large solder and not have any problems.

I like your disclaimer: No chip to hard. Oh yea, ever solder a Ball Grid Array ;D

I’m going to have to try this, but what was the glue gun for?

I don’t think anyone likes lead free solder.

Or “I speak nicely to chips to let them obey my will” :smiley:

Very nice Gus! Very clear! Might give it a shot soon! :stuck_out_tongue:

Pretty nice instruction Gus,

I learned that for these little tricks if you don’t know how to do it the right way, it can turns into painful messy tasks, even simple thing like soldering 2 wires together, i didn’t know how to do it the right way before until I saw a video posted on the youtube and I always got the job done right after that.

I have a simple solder tool that made by Weller, and it works great
Thanks!

Gus,

freakin awesome

I love how much effort you went to capture this, which has always scared the pants off me. But you have showed me that it can be pretty easy to do with tools I have. I really was contemplating leaving my USBizi chip in the drawer it’s lived in for the past 6 months, but now you’ve given me some hope that if I do design and make a board I’ll be OK with soldering it.

now all i have to find is a source for some bits!

The only thing i would add is it better to get into the habit of using tweezers to place your components when soldering this way. Some components are heat sensitive and you can cause damage or early failure using a heat source for initial placement.

I guess having an Iron with a stable temp output is important as well. I purchased an Iron with a fine tip but I want to bend it. Does anyone have any ideas? Do I take a pliers to it?

That’s how I do it usually. Very slight bend so you can brush the pins

Speaking of temperature, thats something else playing on my mind. What temps should you be using on this kind of job? My soldering iron has adjustable temp, with ~290-380 deg C as recommended “green” setting, should I be towards the lower or higher end of that?

If I was using it then I set it to max since I can move quick. I would say set it 320 when you are first aligning the chip, since you may have the iron on the corner pin for about 5 seconds, but once the chip is in place and you want to solder all pins then go max temp. I am assuming you will flow what I had in the video and only be brushing on the pins.