New to this forum and have a newbie question. Bought a Panda II a while back and build a project that I am quite pleased with. Showed it to a couple of business type folks and there is interest in possibly taking it to market. Problem is my Proof-of-Concept (POC) looks like a typical “spider” hobbist project/mess.
The project uses surprisingly little of the base Panda II core capabilities
- the USBizi chip (of course)
- some I/Os and the
- the clock
- a couple of UARTs
But that is about it. I don’t for example need:
- USB support
- SD card reader
- A shield (and therefore a shield connector)
So my question is how does one go about taking this project and “reducing” it to find out:
a) How small it can be made? (I have very tight encloser constraints)
b) How cheaply it can be made (i.e.; minimal parts)?
c) Create a minimalistic PBC protoype layout for possible manufacturing?
I have been reading this forum all weekend and have learned many things including the existance of services like the “Fritzing” and “DorkBotPDX” services. But these strike me as addressing only c) above. I think I first need to address a) and b) by “reducing” project to its bear minimum requirements.
As I come from the software world I don’t have the skill set to deal with the electrionics myself (which is why I was attracted to the Panda II in the first place), but I don’t want that to stand in the way of making progress here. So I am looking for information on how to best proceed here. For example should I:
- Take a soldering iron and start “removing” stuff from my Panda II board until I break the project (half joking here )
- Get a breadboard and an USBizi chip and start building from the ground up (how much electronics knowledge would one need to do this??? - Its not clear to me how much of the functionality I need is already implemented directly on the chip v.s. implemented in circuitry on the Panda II board)
- Find someone here in the forums to “reduce” my project for me for a fee
- Contact GHI to see if they offer these kinds of services
- Something else?
Any suggestions would be welcome.