How shall we contribute TinyCLR Samples?

GHI said that they would like to see some user samples in their repos. How can we contribute? Should we make pull requests in the TinyCLR-Samples repo?

Yes, I think so, and make sure everything is legal for everyone to use :d

As long as you are good with the Apache2 license. Please note that we are still structuring the repo to make sure things will be organized over time. We welcome feedback and discussions on what you my want to contribute. We want to make sure it goes in the right place.

I understand your intention. There should be some order and quality of the contributions so it would be good if there would have been some discussions about the contributions before they appear in the GHI Repo.
On the other side, if nothing can be seen on the GHI Website, nothing will be discussed by the community and GHI will probably not have enough time and resources to certify all contributions.
To find a practical way I would make the following proposal:

GHI opens a thread where contributers ā€˜advertizeā€™ their ā€˜Code examplesā€™.
This thread should be a list of the examples from different authors (no discussions should be in this list thread).
GHI should edit this thread to remove discussion to another place.

Each entry in this list should consist of the

1. Title of the contribution
  2. Link to the authors personal GitHub repo
  3. Link to another Thread on the GHI Site, named Discussion of ā€˜Title of the Code exampleā€™. This link should be created by the author of each entry or by GHI if the author forgot to create this link.
  4. About perhaps three lines of text explaining the Code example.

After some time of discussion and improvement, if a contribution is approved by GHI, it could be taken in the GHI TinyCLR-Samples repo.

What do you think?

You are right. GitHub is great for team work. You can have a project on your own repo that we all (community) can benefit from and then once it has been proven to be useful and we know where to place it on the official repo then you can send a pull request.

This will be clearer once we have more samples in there. Not only samples, we also have libraries and drivers repos. We would love for everyone to be involved there as well.

OK, then Iā€™ll stay waiting for the things to come.

Iā€™ve just this past week jumped into the GHI code repos and offered up a bunch of PRs into the library code. I can tell you that Gus, Dat, and the GHI crew are more than happy to work with anyone who can contribute. And now, during the preview, is the time to engage. Changes (esp. breaking changes) get a lot harder to make and releases have to come slower when thereā€™s production code running out there.

3 Likes

Yes, I know and appreciate that Gus and his team are very cooperative.
I only wanted to suggest a way how we can show what we did and what others are doing with TinyCLR (in one central place)

1 Like

Itā€™s is very important to highlight community efforts. We had something called codeshare before but now we think GitHub will do the job.

I totally agree, itā€™s not reasonable to have something like CodeShare besides GitHub. But GHI is the ā€˜Landing Pageā€™ for people working with TinyCLR and on this central place a list which points to GitHub projects of different contributers (on their GitHub accounts) might be helpful.
(Btw: Iā€™m happy to have more than 100 CodeShare projects saved on my PC :smiley: )

I think I got a copy from you and I have them :slight_smile:

We are currently porting our complete base of Click drivers to TinyCLR 2.0. Thatā€™s roughly around 60 drivers.
As soon as I get a board to confirm that everything is fine, we will open our Github repo so you can pick anything you want.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s indeed an outstanding contribution :clap:

1 Like

Yes that would be great, playing with one of the LoRa boardsā€¦

2 Likes

Still trying to understand LoRa. It seems promising but I still do not full understand it.

Iā€™ve set up a gateway for my area, on Vancouver Island ( near Nanaimo), which can be used by anyone, I have it forwarding data to the ā€œThingsā€ network, which can in turn send the data wherever you want. LoRa is basically a medium range ( a few km) packet radio network which doesnā€™t need a license, great for sending small amounts of data from the field. Iā€™m going to use it to monitor my water system, and may integrate with a Linux based sprinkler system, all for funā€¦ using a click 5 LoRa board. Havenā€™t had much time to work on it, Iā€™m too busy building a pizza oven in the back yard at the momentā€¦ I should look for a high temp (1000F) sensor for that thing lol!

Can I come visit for some pizza and a Lora lesson?

Of course Gus, but I think weā€™d need to drag those kiwiā€™s up here as well as they know more about this stuff than I do!!

2 Likes