Home automation aka Domotica

Looks like it came from here: http://www.e-home.com/

No, it doesn’t. The website layout is coming from opencart and I converted the php to asp.net mvc 2. I only “borrowed” the layout. 8)

Did I mentioned all is live ?

Need to throw in some ajax in order to see live updates without the need for a page refresh.

Greetings

I just LOVE your website man. That is one hell of a awesome piece of work. I wish I could create something like this :frowning:

The design is no problem, but the code is… :smiley:

Thanks Foekie,

it took a lot of time to get it the way it is now. One nice feature in the MVC2 framework are the htmlhelpers, they really speed development up.

Tomorrow I will install the hall effect sensor to check if the garage door is open or closed. Gonna be fun finding a decent magnet to mount on the sectioned door. Status will also appear on the website obviously.

And that will be the last sensor I’ll add to the arduino for now… It’s just not modular enough.

And btw, I just threw my enc28j60 based ethershield crap out of the window. It’s frustrating when things are way to complicated to implement and documentation is zero to none.

Greetings

Love the site!

I’ve slowly been trying to do something similar. Right now I’ve got Xbee modules spaced around my house with thermistors on their analog inputs, and a program on my WHS box logging all the data and serving it on a web page. I’m just about ready to add current sensors to my circuit breakers, and I think I’ve figured out how to run a triac to switch my furnace contacts.

I’m very interested in the SVG graphs that you use, as I’ve been writing an Asp.Net control to handle graphs in SVG on my site. The MS provided charting in .net 4.0 takes way to long to render with a large number of data points. Did you use a pre-built library, or did you write that from scratch?

HVACengi,

the library used for the charts is http://www.highcharts.com.
I used to MS one too when i started, but as you said, it’s damn slow. I only need to build a wrapper around the javascripts that are one each page now.

Greetings

That’s really cool information on that site EriSan500, however the home page/environment pages don’t layout correctly in Opera (not sure about other browsers). They seem to be doing a horizontal layout rather than vertical.

Thanks MarkH,

I will look into that. To be honestly, i only used Firefox to verify the layout.

Would it be possible to create some sort of tutorial for such a website or even post the code?
I believe a lot of users would benefit from this. ;D

I’m planning to make to whole setup open source.
Don’t know when yet…I need some more devs involved.

Thank you, if you need some help then there are a lot of users here who are professional software engineers (or similar).

Just ask :slight_smile:

I think the hardest part about getting people involved with stuff like this is getting them to install the hardware in their house.

Might be, but not all users will use such a massive amount of sensors :stuck_out_tongue:

One of the temptations you have to fight in any type of project like this is to throw in loads of sensors before considering all the information each sensor might be able to provide. A few years ago I saw a video presentation where a gentleman was demonstrating sensoring a home to try and keep track of the well being of an elderly person. What was interesting is that he was able to do an awesome job of this using a single wireless sound sensor that was lashed to the homes main sewer pipe.

He was able to determine what activity was going on in the house by distinguishing between the sounds water made when it was coming from various fixtures in the house. Taking a shower, flushing the toilet, washing your hands all had different sound signatures so you could tell what was going on at what time. This was enough information to keep track of the routine of an elderly person in a very unobtrusive way.

Smart example, Jeff. This is indeed a better approach of complex systems like this, but how hard is it to tweak such a sensor?

The sensor used was a CrossBow mote as I recall. I think the sensor just grabbed the sound and sent it to a PC for analysis but I don’t remember exactly. The idea is though that there is often much more information in a given signal that what you might think.

Well start slow and build it up slowly, thats how I did it, and you decide yourself what you want to monitor. If you only want to know the temperature in your various rooms, buy a bunch of DS18B20 sensors and pull a cat5/6 cable. It all depends on your passion and what you want to accomplish.

My goal is to reduce my energy bills and make my home more comfortable by automating things.
For example, having a wireless button in your bedroom that when pressed, makes sure all the lights in the house are turned off, etc.

I’m still in the early stages of this project, but moving on slowly.

Greetings

Guys,

If you look at my diagram, the connection between the Panda and Cobra is I2C. Is that advisable or is there a better way to communicate between the 2 boards? (I read somewhere on the forum here that you cannot make Panda a I2C slave device)

I would use a serial connection between the Cobra and Panda. Simple to use, and can be interrupt driven with DataReceived event on SerialPort object.

Yes I would use serial connection. You could even use xbee for this if your panda and cobra are at separate locations. ;D