Holiday gifts

Hey GUS, did you guys assemble them or just find a good deal somewhere on the complete package.
The reason why i ask, is because i was planning on using the 18650’s in a project of mine. If you guys made them i was wondering if you got a great deal on them are are going to sell them

What I’m curious about, since I’m still kinda new to this, is whether there’s a transformer in there somewhere. I haven’t measured the voltage at the jacks, but the batteries themselves measure at around 4.1V, although the batteries are labeled 3.7V.

USB is supposed to provide 5V, so I assume that’s achieved via a step-up transformer? Or am I missing something.

Also, anyone know if the round jack is for input, output, or both?

Oh, and what about the LEDs on the side? Just for fun, or do they have a practical use as well? :slight_smile:

[quote]USB is supposed to provide 5V, so I assume that’s achieved via a step-up transformer? Or am I missing something.
Also, anyone know if the round jack is for input, output, or both?[/quote]

Step up, the DC jack in in only. Dont know the input limit, but its paralleled with the mini usb power pins. So 5V for sure.

They are for battery level.

Everybody’s up late (EST anyways)!

@ devhammer - they are LiPo cells, which are nominally 3.7V, and max at about 4.1V. The barrel jack is for input. I would be curious to know if we can safely go higher than a 500ma charge rate. There is a DC-DC step up to get it to 5V out.

I’m guessing the 3 LEDs are for estimating charge. Not sure if the colors indicate anything special… maybe red (only) = needs a charge, green = good, and blue = fully charged ?

I’m not sure why the bigger white “on” LED gets brighter when the small charge indicator button is pressed. Makes for a nice small flashlight, though :wink:

This is a lot of power in a small package. Should run a few hundred milliamp Panda project (like my LED strip) for a long time. Will be test charging it with a 6V 3.7W solar panel on the next sunny day!

Thanks again GHI!

There is low voltage protection, but there is no balance.

Ah, jdal, you beat me to it… I just logged back on to edit that…

:wink:

The only thing i did not investigate yet is the SM push button inside the case.

So, is red the “do not pass” level or does it mean you have another 1/3 to go before you get there? I’ll assume that’s the indicator to stop but it would be nice to know for sure.

I can’t keep that darn monkey out of trouble…

GHI, please send me one of those I am freaking out of curiosity :smiley:

not sure, keep running it down to find out :wink:

They’re LiPo’s, right? Not sure I want to take that chance…

There protected, its safe to do so.

Still working brilliantly. Took it on a trip to visit relatives this afternoon. Used it to charge one of my remote control helis, which I gave to my brother-in-law. Worked flawlessly. Charging my phone now. Down to just 2 LEDs capacity. Very cool and nice that it’s so easily pocketable.

Now time to wrap presents for the kiddos!

Merry Christmas, all!

Christmas has been and gone in AU, looks like the Fez monkey gets into trouble worldwide, although who knows how this might end ??!!
:o :o

Happy Fezzing to all and to all a good day !

Oh no-o-o-o! Poor monkey!

Awesome! Even the dogs got a Christmas gift :slight_smile:

Just got mine!

Thanks, GHI, it’s a wonderful gift, and very unexpected! Every day I’m glad I chose GHI to supply my NETMF hardware!

Nobody’s taken internals photos? ???