Have problem on latest SDK

I Want update the latest SDK.
But when I put the board switches in Loader.
There is a error in my COM port.
how to solve it?

Any Help?

That is why I am always afraid to update the new SDK.
Because you never know what the problem will happen.
I will demo NETMF based project next Monday to my Deputy Executive and many managers. However, I update the SDK and get the problem immediately.
That will be a disaster if I can’t solve it as soon as possible.
MY boss will be angry if I Messed up and will loss the confidence on the hardware or software what I choose.

help as soon as possible, please,
I will be trouble if I can’t solve it these two days.

Thank you very much.

Have you checked the troubleshooting guide? And try a restart. I do not see how this error is related to updating the sdk.

… and don’t panic !

Take a step back. Worst case, reinstall the old SDK if you think that’s the cause of the problem.

As the guys said, you need to tell more about the error, and I’d uninstall the driver and remove the files when you do it. Then let it reinstall once you reconnect it.

My OS is Win8 64bit:
Board is spider.

The process I am doing.

1. remove all old SDK and files.
  2. install the SDK R3
  3. use FEzcnfig to update the firmware.
  4. after updated, the windows shows

The Loader (TinyBooter) not up to date. <<<

1. I change the switches in spider to Loader mode to update the TinyBooter.
  2. Then the com port shows error I post before.
  3. I reinstall the SDK 3 times, the error still there, I reinstall the old SDK, the error still there.

The propertie shows

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I try to update the driver

but can’t find the driver on C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\USB Drivers\GHI_Bootloader_Interface

How to correct the GHI_Bootloader_Interface driver?

Thanks.

with the device connected, open device manager, on the device that won’t start look at properties, and uninstall the driver, making sure you REMOVE the files. Then, restart PC with device disconnected, install the driver again, and reconnect the driver and confirm it’s now seen in Device Manager

where is the driver located?

I find this
https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=10960

and to correct it, my OS is Windows 8.1.
the driver works on Windows 8 OS before.
and my notebook only has USB 3.0.

I install the newest SDK on my PC with XP, It is ok.
So, does the driver has problem in the Windows 8.1 with USB 3.0?
Does any one has the same problem?
I can’t use VS 2012 on XP, so the problem still need to solve.
Thank you very much.

Can you use VS2010? There’s no difference between VS2010+SDK4.2QFE2 and VS2012+SDK4.3RTM, you still use/need the same firmware.

I’ve used both VS2010 and VS2012 on Win8.1Preview on my laptop with only USB3 ports with no worries, and I have Win8.1RTM +VS2012 on this machine now and no issues with my G120 or G400 or Cerberus, all have been updated with the R3 update. Edit: I just did my Cobra, EMX based device, again no problem

I still think you need to remove the driver files and reinstall the driver. It’s installed where you installed the SDK

I know what the problem is, maybe! EMX boot loader does not always work on Windows 8 and usb 3. You can try a different port, try a usb2 hub or update tinybooter on another machine.

The good news is that you need to update tinybooter maybe once a year. Assuming you want to update regularly.

Let us know how it goes please.

Interesting, I did actually look deeper and noticed the firmware update process appears to work, and the latest 4.2 firmware does get deployed to my EMX device, but when I look closely the tinybooter doesn’t get updated, it stayed on 4.2.10.0 instead of going to 4.2.11.1. So my earlier statement was only partially correct, the tinybooter update bit doesn’t work on my PC, with 8.1 and USB3. Even through a simple 4-port USB2 hub it didn’t work, and after cracking the case of the Cobra2 open and booting manually into tinybooter, I see the serial port shows the can’t start message. Looks like it’ll be time to do this on another PC.

Given what we now know, that it’s only tinybooter that doesn’t start on your PC, update the firmware on the XP machine and you’re done. Go back to using your Win8.1 USB3 machine and you won’t have a problem.

1 Like

Thank you all.
Could GHI put this information somewhere?
Maybe useful for someone has the same problem.
Thank you very much.

@ Tzu Hsuan - There is a comment on this in the Release Notes of the SDK ( https://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf/sdk/8/netmf-and-gadgeteer-package-2013-r3 ). We will look into adding a note on this problem to our TroubleShooting Guide: https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/165/netmf-and-gadgeteer-troubleshooting.