Getting FEZ to generate a tone via Analog out

I ordered a FEZ Panda and have wanted to see if I could get it to generate tones via a morse code rythym. I have the morse code part of the program working with the LED, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to get a tone generated from one of the audio ports.

I saw a project about FEZ being able to play audio: (link removed). Based on what I saw in that project, I hooked a TRS audio connector to the ground and A3 ports of the FEZ Panda. I changed my code to use

new OutputPort((Cpu.Pin)FEZ_Pin.AnalogOut.An3,false);

as the OutpoutPort. All it’s doing is sending true when the morse code is on and false when the morse code is off. I can faintly hear the rythym of the morse code, but only if I hold the speaker up to my ear.

What do I need to do to be able to generate a tone to send to the speaker?

Ben - The analog out can drive VERY little current… are you connecting this to a “line in” like on a stereo, or directly to speakers/headphones? It needs to be connected to an amplifier.

Also, true/false are not “audio”…

@ Patrick I’m connecting to a speaker that is self-powered, so I figure that it is its own amplifier (also, it appears that the speaker in the project I referenced wasn’t going through an amplifier before interacting with the FEZ device).

I understand that true and false are not “audio”; that’s why I’m asking how to generate a tone to send. In my initial test, I just wanted to replace the led output with the analog output to see if I could hear [italic]something[/italic]. The true/false was part of the led output. My goal now is to figure out how to send a tone instead of simply true/false, and that’s where I’m stuck.

Did you look at the sample code on the page you just posted? That would be a start, since it actually plays audio :slight_smile:

If you want to generate your own tones (vs playing wave files) you should look at how audio files are constructed - they’re literally “waves” (sine waves, for example.)

The speakers in the photo have a power light, so they are amplified.

I did look at the sample code. I opened it up and tried to learn how it was sending signals to the analog output port. I ran into stumbling blocks in two places:

[ol]The sample project is playing wave files and I need to generate tones instead. I’m not sure how to do that and what tones “look like” in code.[/ol]
[ol]I was also confused at how to use the AnalogOut out object from the sample code in my application. I think I was missing an assembly reference.[/ol]

I think I’ve found the assemblies I need to add to be able to work with AnalogOut, but I still don’t know what a “wave” looks like in code to be able to generate a tone. Any ideas?

I did look at the sample code. I opened it up and tried to learn how it was sending signals to the analog output port. I ran into stumbling blocks in two places:

[ol]The sample project is playing wave files and I need to generate tones instead. I’m not sure how to do that and what tones “look like” in code.[/ol]
[ol]I was also confused at how to use the AnalogOut out object from the sample code in my application. I think I was missing an assembly reference.[/ol]

I think I’ve found the assemblies I need to add to be able to work with AnalogOut, but I still don’t know what a “wave” looks like in code to be able to generate a tone. Any ideas?

If you just want to generate a tone for Morse code hook your speaker up to a PWM port.

Take a look at this (link removed)

I was able to find the following assemblies (GHI version 4.1.1.0) and reference them in my project:

using GHIElectronics.NETMF.Hardware;
using GHIElectronics.NETMF.IO;
using GHIElectronics.NETMF.System;

That allowed me to see the AnalogOut object. However, it seems to behave differently in my project than in the sample project. The implementation in the sample project has:

aout.Set(buffer, wav.GetDataIndex(), wav.GetDataSize(), wav.GetSampleRate());

Whereas when I try to use AnalogOut in my project, AnalogOut.Set only takes one parameter, an int named value. I feel like I moved a step forward by referencing the right assemblies, but now I’m confused as to why AnalogOut seems different in my project than in the sample project.

Have you downloaded the new SDK Ben?

I had thought that I had a more recent version of the SDK, but it appears I may be behind a few versions. (EDIT: I must have had the previous [italic]stable[/italic] version of the SDK, which was still several versions behind the existing beta versions).

Great tip on using PWM, by the way. I didn’t realize that PWM was exactly what I needed to generate a tone; I’m still very much a newbie at this stuff :-). I had a little bit of trouble figuring out what to do with duty cycle, but when I set it to 1, it seemed to work fine for generating my morse code tone.

Much thanks!

It seems that you have fallen into the same trap as me.
[url]http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/2/1320/[/url]

For some strange reason the analog out pin can’t be addressed as

new OutputPort((Cpu.Pin)FEZ_Pin.AnalogOut.An3,false);

It has to be addressed as

new AnalogOut(AnalogOut.Pin.Aout0);

Using Reflector:

public enum AnalogIn : byte
{
    An0 = 0,
    An1 = 1,
    An2 = 2,
    An3 = 3,