Gadgeteer vs Pure NETMF

I’ve been toiling away on something new for Skewworks and man did I forget how much TinyCore and Gadgeteer take away from the system.

For example: running my code on Gadgeteer with a keyboard attached I lose somewhere around 90% of the data sent. On NETMF, I’m looking at zero (or so close to zero I haven’t caught it yet) loss.

I absolutely love the drag and drop modules for Gadgeteer, but man what I high performance price we pay. :frowning:

As I continue to work on the new products, perhaps it’s time to revive my “Pure NETMF Gadgeteer” project which gives you the use of modules without the TinyCore killing you.

3 Likes

Go for it!

Didn’t know the TinyCore stuff uses that much resources !? :think:
So far I only used it to get easily to the Gadgeteer driver sources by F12-ing them.

I’m a NETMF guy anyway, and the only disadvantage for me is that I have to modify the Gadgeteer drivers to use them without TinyCore.
I would love to see that drivers are written for pure NETMF and then are wrapped by the Gadgeteer overhead.

There’s an initial version on Code Share. I ported a decent number of modules. More are up in the new project I’m working on.

Interesting. I have never really used Gadgeteer (beyond just modules with the connectors).

I wonder what part of TinyCore.dll causes the issue. Is it just having it included as a reference or is it specific classes?

My project just uses TinyCore for Colors and for SystemMetrics. I can work around these very easily.

I need an explanation, otherwise its a bug!