Gadgeteer toolbox contains nothing

I loaded a gadgeteer project. However, I was not able to see the contents of toolbox. I assume that I was not able to take full control of the COM ports of the FEZ Cobra that I am using since I coded it the non-gadgeteer way and integrating it with my GUI compiles with errors. (see my previous post here ) I think I may be able to use the designer to see the auto-generated code for the com ports, so I can actually use it together with the glide.

However,when I looked at the toolbox, there are no available options. Also, a warning displays already on the screen:
“The custom tool ‘Gadgeteer File Code Generator’ failed”

What should I do now?
Hope anyone can help me with this.

hey cluemain,

sorry mate, haven’t seen that before. Can you explain what you mean by “loaded a Gadgeteer project”? Do you just mean you started a new project and selected the Gadgeteer type?

is this the first time you’ve done a Gadgeteer type project?

Here’s how I expect a normal opening of Visual Studio 2010 to go:

Select a New Project
Select “Gadgeteer” in the left pane
The middle pane shows ".Net Gadgeteer Application"
Type a new name if you want down the bottom
click OK
Then the Program.Gadgeteer page shows which is the design surface where you can see the mainboard.
Then you should be able to pop out or see the toolbox with all the modules and mainboards that you can select and drag onto the design surface.

There should be NO link to the current active program on your device. Remember, until you hit deploy (after changing target to USB) you never try to communicate to the device.

@ Brett - well, yes I was new at this. however, I think, I dont need to do this… for some weird reason, Main function can still work with the gadgeteer with the UART and GUI that I made, I rearranged the code. Anyways, I already tried that, however, it shows me nothing on the Program.gadgeteer tab. It says something like “drag items”. I also found the modules such as buttons, displays, USBs and stuff in the GHIElectronics folder in my C drive.

On the other note, can I ask you something that’s a bit far from the topic?
I have this pseudocode:

public static void Main()
            {

string xml;
                xml = "<Glide Version=\"" + Glide.Version + "\">";
                xml += "<Window Name=\"window\" Width=\"320\" Height=\"240\" BackColor=\"dce3e7\">";
                xml += "<Button Name=\"init\" X=\"240\" Y=\"8\" Width=\"80\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"init\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"000000\" DisabledFontColor=\"808080\" TintColor=\"000000\" TintAmount=\"0\"/>";
                xml += "<Button Name=\"btn\" X=\"4\" Y=\"202\" Width=\"80\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"Read\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"000000\" DisabledFontColor=\"808080\" TintColor=\"000000\" TintAmount=\"0\"/>";
                xml += "<Button Name=\"stopbtn\" X=\"236\" Y=\"202\" Width=\"80\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"Clear\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"000000\" DisabledFontColor=\"808080\" TintColor=\"000000\" TintAmount=\"0\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBox Name=\"text0\" X=\"5\" Y=\"9\" Width=\"200\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBlock Name=\"Frequency\" X=\"10\" Y=\"102\" Width=\"100\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"Frequency:\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBlock Name=\"EPC\" X=\"10\" Y=\"73\" Width=\"100\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"EPC:\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBlock Name=\"RSSI\" X=\"10\" Y=\"130\" Width=\"100\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"RSSI(-):\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBlock Name=\"Phase\" X=\"9\" Y=\"158\" Width=\"100\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"Phase:\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBox Name=\"text1\" X=\"105\" Y=\"71\" Width=\"200\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\" \" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"2\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBox Name=\"text2\" X=\"107\" Y=\"103\" Width=\"100\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBox Name=\"text3\" X=\"106\" Y=\"130\" Width=\"100\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBox Name=\"text4\" X=\"106\" Y=\"157\" Width=\"100\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBlock Name=\"kHz\" X=\"215\" Y=\"104\" Width=\"50\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"kHz\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBlock Name=\"dBm\" X=\"215\" Y=\"130\" Width=\"50\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"dBm\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBlock Name=\"deg\" X=\"215\" Y=\"158\" Width=\"50\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"deg\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBlock Name=\"tagsdet\" X=\"89\" Y=\"203\" Width=\"100\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"Tags Detected:\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"0\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                xml += "<TextBox Name=\"text5\" X=\"199\" Y=\"200\" Width=\"35\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"\" TextAlign=\"Left\" TextVerticalAlign=\"Top\" Font=\"0\" FontColor=\"0\" BackColor=\"000000\" ShowBackColor=\"False\"/>";
                //    xml += "<Image Name=\"img1\" X=\"2\" Y=\"6\" Width=\"317\" Height=\"35\" Alpha=\"255\"/>";
                //   xml += "<Button Name=\"btn\" X=\"100\" Y=\"104\" Width=\"120\" Height=\"32\" Alpha=\"255\" Text=\"Read\" Font=\"4\" FontColor=\"000000\" DisabledFontColor=\"808080\" TintColor=\"000000\" TintAmount=\"0\"/>";
                xml += "</Window>";
                xml += "</Glide>";
          //      do{
                // Resize any loaded Window to the LCD's size.
                Glide.FitToScreen = true;

// Load the Window XML string.
                    window = GlideLoader.LoadWindow(xml);

// Activate touch
                    GlideTouch.Initialize();

// Initialize the window.
                    InitWin();
                    // Assigning a window to MainWindow flushes it to the screen.
                    // This also starts event handling on the window.
                    Glide.MainWindow = window;
                    Thread.Sleep(-1);
            }
           static void InitWin()
           {
                 //Initialized buttons,textblocks and textboxes
                 //checking on tap button events
           }
           static void init_TapEvent(object sender)
            {
                 //UART code for initializing the rfid reader
                 //I didn't close the com port at this point
            }
           static void read_TapEvent(object sender)
           {
                  //must send the appropriate read commands
           }

The reader initializes when I press the init button. However, when I clicked the read button and checked if the com port is open, it says it’s not. :frowning:
Thank you for replying in advance

@ cluemain - If you are retrofitting a previous project to a gadgeteer project, then the ‘main’ method must be labeled ‘ProgramStarted()’ inside your public partial class. I have not seen this error before, but in VisualStudio certain things (at least plugins like Intellisense) will not be able to complete if there is an error in your syntax. This is probably not the reason the designer isn’t working, but it’s a good place to try. Also, in order for us to try and reproduce this error on our end, we will need to know more specific details such as what operating system (including 32 or 64 bit), version of the SDK you are installing and your locality settings in Windows.

As for your second question, in your pseudo code, I do not see you attempting to call the SerialPort.Open() method, is the open call inside your non-pseudo code?

@ James - I open the port when I press init button… but after pressing the read button, serial port is not open (even if i didnt close the port). :frowning:

lets keep looking at your issue in the other thread not rehash it over here…