G400D Pinout

Hi GHI Folks,

I am going to start a PCB design including the G400D. Unfortunately the brochure which shows the pinout is marked as ‘Preview-only, subject to change’.

This is a insufficient base for starting a PCB project, please can you make some definitive documents we designer can relay on???

This is very urgent.

With best regards

Gerhard

G400 was to be fished by the end of this year. However, the product was competed earlier before the docs are updated. I will get in this very quickly.

Thanks for that quick reaction.

… and it will be nice to know the functions of LED0 - LED2, guess two of that LED were related to the Ethernet connector (Speed, Activity).

With best regards

Gerhard

… please can you tell me, whats about the functions ‘LDR0’ and 'Mode(USB/Com1#), cause this lines were also used by the I2S transmitter, see SSC at page 979 of the current MCU Manual.

Thanks a lot

With best regards

Gerhard

PS: As the I2S Tx/Rx is used by lot of high quality audio codecs, it may be also of big interest by hobbyists.

… page 765 told me, that USART0 is connected to the GPIO lines PA0 - PA4, but your pinout shows COM2. So is COM2 the logical name I have also to use in my programs?
No Problem so far. This USARTs also have special function modes, RS485 for instance. In this mode the RTSx line will be switched by the TXEMPTY signal, so the direction of data flow on the RS485 party line will be always correct. Is this functionallity exposed by the libraries, and if not, is it possible to use one of the USARTs in native mode and writing a RLP to control IO?

With best regards

Gerhard

Hello all.

I have a situation, i want to replace an EMX module by a G400-D module on my PCB but the pinout on the brochure isn’t very useful. For example if i want to pass in bootloader mode with my EMX i have to ground DOWN, UP, SELECT or LMODE, and RESET. With the G400 the documentation tell us to ground PA11 and there is no PA11 on the pinout.

So where can we find an updated pinout of the G400-D module?

I don’t know where you read about PA11, but in the G400-D pinout the two pins for loader mode are called LDR0 (PA24) and LDR1 (PA4).

Hello GHI folks.

i just want to know why there are some of the pin, who are with a *(do not connect leave floating) in the pinout of the brochure?

Thank you for the attention.

See Step 2 in the following link, PA11 is required for a G400-D board.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/236/loader-tinybooter-update-g400

The incomplete schematic for G400HDR does have a net name PA11 / SPI0_MSIO on pin 107 of the G400-D edge connector.

Phil

Hello Reinhard, see here:
https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/236/loader-tinybooter-update-g400

G400 SoC products: Ground PA11, reset or power cycle the board. With power still ON, unground PA11.

@ ODS Tech - There could be several reasons for why a pin has a “Do not connect leave floating” label placed on it.

Some reasons are but not limited to:

1. Pin is an input used to select some mode of operation on the connected chip, for example on power up.
  2. Pin is an output.
  3. Pin is not connected to any part of the circuit.
  4. Pin is reserved for future use

Phil

Some of these pins are analog inputs… how can it works if should be left floating :wall:

As an example PB6 and PB7. This is confusing!

Could GHI clarify this in the documentation.

@ leforban - PB6 and PB7 can be analog inputs but the G400-D has an Ethernet Physical layer chip (National 83848I) so those pins are already connected. So the Ethernet Physical layer chip would need to be removed to allow PB6 and PB7 function as analog inputs, plus the necessary firmware changes to re-program the pins function.

The PB14 pin also has a “*” which is part of the SPI0 hardware interface, as listed in the SAM9X35 data sheet, it is the SPI0_NPCS0 signal, the SPI0 interface is exposed on pins 107, 108, and 109 of the G400-D edge connector.

Hope this helps, best I can do without the schematic.

Phil

Hello Phitek and thank for your answer

So according to me, G400D brochure shouldn’t mention AD7 AD8 AD10 and AD11 since they are not available to customer! Am I wrong? Is it possible to use it only if ethernet is not used? only if ethernet phy is unsoldered?

Please GHI update your documentation to clarify this point! this is needed to do design choice!

If the onboard Ethernet is not required then likely the G400-S would be a better choice. However the SODIMM form factor allows one to swap out the module for upgrades and independent testing.

Both the G400-D and G400-S specifications list 12 analog inputs available, but clearly this is not possible on the G400-D as is.

About a year ago I was following this thread closely, as “Gerhard” really requested what I was looking for, basically a hardware design guide for ChipworkX equivalent, or superset of the G400HDR. That would have battery for the RTC, SD card, two or three COM ports, on-board Ethernet, USB client and touch screen. In the end I had to go with Embedded Windows 7, the full .NET framework,PC-104 adapters and SBC, which had a few issues but did work out for a medical instrument prototype.

Phil

Hey Everybody,.

new G400 manual and updated brochure are coming soon . We are watching this thread to make sure questions and comments are addressed !! :clap:

Hi Phil,

nice to hear, that I am not the only one requesting a godd design guide and nice to hear, that something is on the way …

Looking foreward, but will be off the Office from 30.7 to 15.8

With best regards

Gerhard

@ Jeff Does the new brochure and manual has been updated yet? It seems that analog inputs are still described while they should not

@ GHI Team You still have problem with your documentation!!! Please updates the pinout and check your specifications

How can you claim G400D has 12 ADC while you mention AD7 AD8 AD10 and AD11 pins should be left unconnected