G400 looses firmware. Again!

I finally got a few G400s! Some action with the iron, the board is ready and the program from EMX is ported. Everything is looking soo freakin’ good! But then, after a few hours… It stopped working. I hit reset, and see the famous “Windows did not recognize device” baloon. I boot G400 into TinyBooter mode, and this is what I see:

Loader (TinyBooter) Version: 4.2.11.0
 Firmware (TinyCLR) Version:  Not available.

Not available! Gone again! I thought this thing was fixed in 2013R2 SDK? Or wasn’t it?

So I update the firmware, program is working again. For a while, until it hangs again.

Another question… If I check versions after update, I see:

Loader (TinyBooter) Version: 4.2.11.0
 Firmware (TinyCLR) Version:  4.2.10.1.

Shouldn’t it be 4.2.11.0, as written here https://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf/sdk/4/netmf-and-gadgeteer-package-2013-r2 ?

Have you flashed firmware 4.2.11.0 yourself? Where did you get it? If I use FEZ Config, it updates to 4.2.10.1. However, a virgin G400 has 4.2.11.0 preflashed, have just checked…

No, I’m talking about firmware, not TinyBooter. TinyBooter is correct. Firmware is not: config.hex and firmware.hex files are dated 2013-07-12, so they are obviously not 4.2.11.0.

With 4.2.10.1 my program stops working after about 10 minutes (without any exception or warning, it simply stops), but it looks like firmware is not corrupted after reset. I reset and it runs fine again — for another 10 minutes. With 4.2.11.0 program runs alot longer, but I have problems with firmware. It’s hard to pinpoint the moment of failure, as I have to leave it running for a few hours :frowning:

2013-07-12. Config.sig and Firmware.sig are dated 2013-08-26, though. Perhaps I’ll try redownloading and reinstalling…

Allright, uninstalling and reinstalling helped. Now waiting for the 4.2.11.0 to crash…

How are you powering the device?

With external super-power supply.

how about result?

Crashes eventually. It lost firmware once today, too.

I hope this is related with https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=13536&page=1#msg138158

Although I have no idea how this corrupts the firmware…

@ Simon from Vilnius -

And how do you make G400 work again? I mean you had to reflash config.hex and firmware.hex or just config.hex?

Can you show us what code that causes “loose firmware”?

I updated both config.hex and firmware.hex. Next time I’ll try config.hex only.

And I cannot show you the code that causes this, because I can’t make that happen everytime I want :frowning: G400 freezes often due to CAN issues, and sometimes it does not recover after reset. Yesterday it happened three times, today — only once.

I do use Enc28 chip and Sockets, though.