G30 Design Project Continued

Then that means the motor is stalling. Balancing the energy and the load for a stepper motor solution is mathematically intensive. Add mass to the shaft of the motor to simulate the intended load. Also, increasing the voltage can change the point at which the motor stalls due to BEMF.

The intended load is already connected. I am running it at 24 V. does that mean it needs smaller duty cycles?

Why would it stll at 1100 steps/s and not 1000?

I tested the back EMF on this motor and it was hardly anything. hooked it to a lathe and ran at 1k+ RPMs

Because you’re settings are not tuned for that motor at that load. I’ve gotten my Vexta PK266A’s to run much faster under load than unloaded. Take this guy’s example for instance. Well tuned, and loaded.

So how do I know which parameters need additional tuning? I dont think back EMF compensation will help it gets worse the more I turn it up.

I have been tuning the motor for 4+ days now, I am running out of time.

I can get it to run at 1200 steps/s with a Krun of 22 but it doesn’t work every time and has a loud whine when it does

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW a certain somebody neglected to tell me how inaccurate the power supplies are for current measurements…it was the overcurrent alarm this entire time - I had it set to 2000 mA and the power supply was reading 100 mA. Raising the threshold to 3000 mA allows it to run at 2000 step/s although I am not sue how to get rid of the whining.

1 Like

My Ameter says its only drawing 400 mA idk why it was shutting down at the 2000 mA setting.

My Krun register won’t set above 49% for some reason…

Peak current on acceleration start?

Is the Ameter measuring Peak or Average? If its analogue then it’s average, and will be flicking wildly. The L6470 uses PWM to control the power going to the stepper. You have to calculate what the current will be by calculating the ohms resistance to the voltage supplied.

24 V / 909 Ohm

I’ll have to check the Ameter it was probably analouge I’ll try peak. This is the same motor and same resistor setup used on the old version which had a IMSPlus controller which could also do 7 A but somehow it was only using 200 mA (I am trying to double the speed though)

How do you know the phase resistance is 909 Ωs? No stepper motor I’ve ever come across had a phase resistance more than 56Ω

because i have two 1.8k resistors in parallel on each phase

So the configuration is like the first diagram right? Take your multi meter and measure the resistance of that.

ya the top one. it says zero ohms I think I blew the resistors

Well I got it working perfectly fine. It was the damn gears on the test set up were old and worn down - started slipping above 1000 steps/s. Got it running at 2000 smooth as buttered toast.

Now I need to get this parallel display running…

@hwalker_MIWV, So that’s it then. This long thread about L6470 issues is behind you?

I think so! Now for a long thread of display issues lol.

Have you ever had issues with intellisense displaying the wrong values? I am trying to record position manually and when I put a breakpoint it has a crazy number even though I see the math is correct. The incorrect value is for uint type.

Ran into a significant problem. I need to move the motor one increment of steps at a time with a button press but it keeps moving 5+ increments per press - glitch filter is enabled in the InputPort() settings. How do I fix this?