G120 and RTC

Hey Guys,

The G120 brochure lists the RTC 1, 2, and Vbat as required. If your circuit has no need for RTC can you forgo adding these components? I still need to keep track of time while the circuit is powered up, but don’t care if its lost when powered down.

Am I on the right track here or is RTC always required and or will I lose timer functionality during normal code execution (or watch dog, or anything like that)?

P.S. Adding a little example to help clarify my question further.

Will the following code work, with the correct time elapsed without adding the RTC crystal?

Utility.SetLocalTime(time);
Debug.Print(DateTime.Now.ToString());

Gus,

Any thoughts?

We will have a reference design soon. If you do nto need RTC then just tie VBAT to 3.3V.

[quote]
Will the following code work, with the correct time elapsed without adding the RTC crystal?

Utility.SetLocalTime(time);
Debug.Print(DateTime.Now.ToString());[/quote]

This code does not use RTC at all. it will work fine.

RTC = RealTimeClock class, not NETMF time services.

Thanks for the response Gus.

I have layed out my board as best as I can with the information you have released so far, but I want to replace my part with whatever you provide (eagle lib, etc) before having proto boards made.

I have delayed my product to wait for the g120, so I am trying to get a head start.

Are we still on schedule for Sept 15 stock date? Also, will the reference design be available later this week?

Yes, but for beginning there will be limit on orders so you can only buy samples but production comes very soon after once we get thumbs up from everyone. You know, we have our own machines so getting G120 out is easy for us.

Excellent idea on the samples to start.

What about the timing on the reference design?

…we are trying, ASAP