Friday Gadgeteer Module Offer 07 - LED Level

I thought I was in a time warp again and it was happy Friday seeing this at the top of the list and it was time to order new stuff, but alas its only Tuesday, but Friday is only 3 days away, but I wonder if the recent Spring Festival is going to mess up my joyous Friday. Hoss must live somewhere that doesn’t depend on dog sled for mail service in the winter (and there are way too many trees)

Similarly I saw I had a reply and got all excited that I might get to use it tonight! lol

Looks like it took 13 days to get here, just a few minutes north of Seattle. No dog sleds needed here!

@ Hoss - you should live on the other coast…about 5 days quicker!

You have email :wink:

Thanks! I have v1.01 of the driver installed. I was able to get it working (and it’s very cool when working), but am having a problem when I have my multicolorLED module plugged in as well (and connected in the designer).

I have a Hydra (latest firmware) and using .NET 4.2 QFE2. Attached is a screen shot of the design how I have it connected up. With the multicolorled module plugged in and connected in the designer, I get very erratic behavior on the LedLevel. For example, in Cylon, it slows down (the animation gets choppy) and speeds up (gets smooth), random LEDs will flash/flicker, etc.

But, if I remove the multicolorled from the designer (but leave it physically plugged into the Hydra) and rebuild/run the app, LedLevel is flawless.

Any ideas?

Oh, would it be possible to add a property for the speed of the Cylon mode? That would be swell. :slight_smile:

This is the program I’m using…

public partial class Program
    {
        void ProgramStarted()
        {
            ledLevel.CylonLeds = 3;
            ledLevel.StartCylon();
        }
    }

Try different sockets, is it the same?

Good point. So in first example I had them plugged into socket 5 and 8, now I have them in sockets 3 and 6. But I get the same behavior.

@ Hoss - does it behave like this with other modules plugged in or just the led module?

Will send you a driver with a speed setting in about 2hrs when i get into the office.

@ Hoss - New driver in your inbox with Cylon speed setting.

I’m beginning to wonder if I have a bad Hydra? Its my first .NET Micro and Gadgeteer board I got a couple of weeks ago, and installed latest firmware, etc.

I only have the MultiColorLED and the TE35 display modules. This issue repros with both. Thing is, I have another thread about getting an ASSERT message on my TE35. Well, while trying to see if this bug repros when the TE35 is connected (instead of the MultiColorLED), I got the ASSERT message on the TE35 with just the program below which doesn’t use the TE35 at all. So simply plug in the TE35 to the sockets, connect it up in the designer, run the below program and got the ASSERT in 30-60 minutes I believe.

public partial class Program
{
        void ProgramStarted()
        {
            ledLevel.CylonLeds = 3;
            ledLevel.StartCylon();
        }
}

@ Hoss - Dodgey module builder more like :smiley:

I will put the kids on stale bread and mouldy cheese for a few weeks, raid their Uni (college) fund and buy a Hydra for testing…

Oh now I’m feeling guilty! :wink:

Really, you should get a free one or at least one at cost or something. It’s posts like your and seeing the cool modules you are making that made me go with GHI and Gadgeteer!

Now off to play with v1.0.2 and play with the speed of the Cylon.

2 Likes

Hoss, GHI is very good to it’s loyal community. :wink: Looking forward to seeing your next build.

@ ianlee74 - Thank you boss :slight_smile:

I wonder if it’s to do with threading…

All the driver does when doing the Cylon is create a new thead, turn digital pins on and off - have a little snooze, repeat until told to stop…

Time to man up, tell the kids their going hungry this week and order a Hydra to add to the stable…

@ Hoss - well the kids are now on their month long forced diet of stale bread and mouldy cheese, but more importantly I have a new shiny Hydra :slight_smile:

I have hooked a LED Level up to a CP7 set a Cylon going and no weirdnesss…

So not sure why you are having fun and games…i will try more random things but…

2 Likes

How much do these modules cost?

@ ianlee74 - $9.95

Driver?

@ ianlee74 - http://www.ingenuitymicro.com/media/430/LedLevel-1.0.3.zip

It doesn’t seem to work on a Y socket with software SPI. I’m using the 4/25 SDK on a Cerberus. Is this a known problem?