Former MakerBot exec launches Solidoodle sub-$500 3D printer

Saw this on twitter. Gotta say, if they can pull this off, I’m going to be in line for one. I can’t justify over a grand, but under five hundred bucks? Dang, count me in, baby!

Here’s the pitch video:

I have been working on 3d printer designs for the past year (the reason I haven’t been very Fez-Active). My current design has an 8"x8" build area, weighs about 5 pounds, folds down into an 12"x9"x5" travel case, and costs less than $300 to build (retail would be a bit higher, probably $495). It is a true RepRap, it can print the parts for copies itself. Almost all of the cost is in the electronics and extruder. Maybe I can run it on a Cerb40 and the new stepper controller Gus hints at and drive the cost down a bit more. I can’t wait to show it to you guys - but that will have to wait a little more.

So everybody, hold your horses, don’t buy a Solidoodle! Can’t wait to see your 3D printer Bob. I always wonder how they get such a tight positioning with mechanical parts.

Sounds interesting, keep us posted Bob!

More interest for Bob’s idea!

I’m also wondering why this guy is a “former” COO. MakerBot is by all indications a wildly successful startup. They’re going gangbusters… lots of demand, substantial VC funding, tons of slick marketing. If you’re the COO, why leave? Anybody know the answer? Conspiracy theories accepted :wink:

Looking forward to more info Bob!!

Maybe founders/shareholders didn’t like their COO

Or maybe he didn’t like them! I don’t think Sam was at MBI for very long - maybe 8 months or so. No idea why he left.

I saw the smaller (4x4x4) Soliddoodle at MakerFaire:NYC last summer and got to chat with him a bit. Really nice guy and a very cool (and tiny!) machine (though I still love my Ultimaker).

[quote]If you’re the COO, why leave? Anybody know the answer? Conspiracy theories accepted
[/quote]
Don’t know the answer but my wild guess would be that he didn’t agree with the way MBI does things. They usually don’t score very well on the price:performance curve and lag pretty far behind on tech. Good marketing, though. That combination can drive engineer types a bit nuts… Again, totally guessing here.

Hey Bob, now the new paralell CNC module is out are you planning on using it for your printer??

I am certainly going to look into it.