Forget Pyxis!

The components finally arrived! I haven’t gotten too much time to play but I have managed to connect the 6 color coded buttons, battery pack, charger, and the thumbstick…so far everything is working better than I could have hoped.

Tomorrow the board gets it’s MP3 decoder attached. :smiley:

I’ve come up with a new UI for Game Slate and I thought I’d get everyone’s feedback before I get it all coded up.

The interface is sort of a blend of PS3/Metro. It has 4x4 block tile rows to select your game from; each tile has a 48x48 alphablended icon and a blue background to show the selected icon.

There are forward and back buttons for paging (which only appear when needed).

On the top is a standard sort of menu to select which area you want to work in.

To the right there is information about your currently selected game: Title, Author, Screen Capture (or other art).

Navigation is done with the thumbstick OR touch screen.

Sweet, can it be done so it will dynamically work on any standard display? You know, the 3 displays in catalog already.

I [italic]could[/italic] the only issue I see with that would be people having to develop games for multiple screen sizes.

Some games types this would be easy to work with (such as RPG) however fixed sizes like doing a brick breaker, differences game, etc might make it harder.

Anyone have thoughts?

looks cool! but compare it to xbox? i keep playing free browser games like grepolis and juggernaut to save money…

_

browser games

“xbox”, where is the fun in that? :slight_smile: I want to make my own games on my own hardware…now that is fun!

From a game developer perspective I would prefer one size/resolution, but the issue has been around for ages so not a very big deal.

NETMF = abstracted hardware = I can run on EMX on 3.5" display or use xxx and run it on a 7" display :slight_smile: I know this is done for a specific hardware but you never know what new hardware you will use in near future! Is this enough of a hint? :slight_smile:

Sounds like a new Fez is about to be born!

@ Gus - Nope. I’m bad at hints. Talk slow and use technical specs. :wink:

@ Behind - Pretty much what Gus said. XBox is a nice cheap way to go but not portable. Game Slate will be portable, roughly a competitive price and since it has internet connection and a free version of the Game Slate Maker + free game engine I would expect you could see free games for that too.

@ Architect true. I’ll have to look into supporting other sizes at some point, would help with the cost for some users too having the 320x240 instead of the 480x272.

I’m nearly ready to show off making a 10 level game in under 5min with Game Slate Maker; until then here’s a peak at the IDE for creating Brick Breaker games (1 of 7 game types currently supported).

Will show in a video? Looks fun

Yup I’ll have a video up as soon as I finish a few more things. I need to get the Game Slate UI updated and loading games so I can upload both the Creating & Play videos at the same time.

And Josh has beta rights so he’ll be getting an email from me once everything is ready so he can start playing around.

I’m looking at adding that PS3 controller to the InputManager too so games can be tested on the Cobra without the extra hardware I have. ;D

Currently Game Slate supports the Touch Screen and its hardware (6 buttons + Thumbstick, RGB LED & MP3 decoder).

That is some progress! Awesome!

It looks exciting.

The new Proof Of Concept board with the LCD off and battery board pulled out to see.

Someone is having a lot of fun :slight_smile:

Is it wrong that I tied the Red/Blue/Green buttons to the RGB LED and spent about 5mins “testing” it?

Ready to see how to make a game for Game Slate? Want to see that game in action on the PoC board? Watch on then!

I just watched the video and it looks to be shaping up nicely. Looking forward to experimenting with it once you’re finished. Keep up the great work.