Flipbook maker - Part 1 (by Kerry Hammil)

Eric, here is another one for you! ;D

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/net_gadgeteer/archive/2011/12/18/how-to-build-a-flipbook-maker-part-1.aspx

Kerry from Gadgeteer team has just posted Part One of the tutorial on how to make Flipbook Maker.

Edit: There is and updated version of the svg files that are Ponoko friendly.

Valen - Thanks for the pointer. Where did you see a link to the updated svg file? I see a mention of an enclosure coming in part 4 of the blog… but that’s it.

My bad! ;D

It is in the forum Post #4

http://www.netmf.com/gadgeteer/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=8347#post8347

So I put together a nice translucent blue version of the flipbook maker and finally got it running tonight. Kerry has posted 3 of 4 blogs in a series on how to build the project (see link in previous post). Here’s a short video of my first ever stop action railroad film: [url]Gadgeteer Flipbook Maker Demo - YouTube . I’ll post a more detailed write-up of the project on my website soon. Stay tuned.

Nice one! So did you find the right lenght screws?

Nice job!

Inspiring to see a finished product!

Did you end up going with Ponoko to do the cutting?

@ architect - i used 1/2" 4-40 for holding it together. They barely catch the nut, so as long as I don’t get too crazy making movies, it should be fine for the short term. I’ll order some 5/8" bolts after double checking that length is adequate.

@ devhammer - yes, Ponoko. Glad your inspired :slight_smile:

Speaking of Ponoko, if anyone’s interested in trying their hand at an enclosure for cheap, they’re offering free cardboard (just the materials are free, you still pay for cutting and shipping) through the end of January:

[url]http://blog.ponoko.com/2012/01/05/new-year-new-prototypes-—-free-cardboard-starts-now/[/url]

Looks great, ransom! I’m curious…is it only for demo/practice or do you have a practical application in mind? That’s an awful lot of hardware to dedicate to a toy :slight_smile:

@ ianlee74 - I finally have enough hardware that I can dedicate a few boards to projects for more than a day! This project (enclosure) will serve as a base for several camera related projects I have in mind: wireless surveillance, object tracking, etc… For now, it will be a fun toy.

@ devhammer - Ponoko had a bunch of free materials, which seemed randomly picked to me. They’re probably clearing out some inventory. I got this acrylic for free, which helped me quickly decide on a color.

Time lapse project would be interesting too.

@ architect - time lapse is first on the “next project” list.

@ ransomhall

I like the blue acrylic. Nice and bold.

I notice that the button and pot are mounted above the acrylic…do you know whether the template would allow for mounting them under the acrylic? Or would you need to modify the enclosure template for that?

@ devhammer - when I put it together I assumed they went underneath and quickly found they did not fit (then I looked at the picture on the MS site). The pot has enough vertical height that it would be fine underneath. The button would probably not rise above this thick acrylic, making it less than ideal to use. You could bust out a caliper and confirm that pretty quickly. The holes in the acrylic are sized for the headers in both cases, so the design would need modification. I have some (radio shack) knobs for pots like this that would look cool, but don’t have anything to cover the button that would give it a finished look. I’ve seen flexible (silicon or similar) button covers that might work, assuming you can find one that’s just the right size.

Thats the reason im putting a 3D Printer on my wish list. Making buttons, enclosures etc for what ever i need (asuming i can ever save up enough money to get one that is).

@ HughB

Wouldn’t you need a CNC machine or laser cutter for enclosures? A 3D printer is great for making stuff, but I don’t know that I’d use one for making flat parts for an enclosure. Or am I misunderstanding?

I think you could make flat parts, but if tolerances are tight between parts there might be issues. Designs like this enclosure are inherently made for lasercutting, and depend on the fact that a laser cutter has a very very small margin of error. This design also requires the ability to assemble each 2D side with module hardware before final assembly. It would be very tricky to mount this hardware inside a 3D enclosure, even with a removable side. There are so many cool applications of a 3D printer, though, you will be too busy to ever worry about such issues :slight_smile:

Free cardboard. Will be good for this project ;D

Now that’s a bot I can appreciate! ;D