Finger Print Scanner Module

@ Brett - this is a busy weekend. will have to wait until Sunday to chech spacing.

Thanks Mike
No hurry :slight_smile:

@ mike, I see youā€™re posting in other threads, are you doing that from home or work :stuck_out_tongue:

The ears on the module are u-shaped. I do not have a small enough screw, but visually it looks like you should be able to mount the module on a Tamiya plate.

latest layout attached, looking for feedback.

This is 36mm x 36mm square, giving hopefully sufficient stability to mount the module to a baseboard, then the reader to the module.

1. does it need to be bigger to allow for more stability? Given you have to actually put your finder on it to use it, there could be some force expected. You can also see that thereā€™s enough room around the module to access the mounting holes when the reader is mounted to the module.
  2. The layout of the headers for the screw-down terminals. Currently thereā€™s TX, RX, Tamper, GND, and 5v in that order, all in one row along one side. Any suggestions?
  3. should I leave spots for pull-up or pull-down resistors on the tamper detection line?
  4. I talked about also adding .1" header earlier, for the 5 pins I break out, but they arenā€™t on here yet. Should I add them or not? Personally I donā€™t really care, if I was getting one of these I wouldnā€™t use anything but screw-down terminals because I like the mechanical connection they give.
  5. any other feedback welcomed !

thanks !!

Your traces look weird :wink:

no theyā€™re perfect - given the pull-up/down decision, easier not to rip up and then re-layout unnecessarily !

:stuck_out_tongue:

If you havenā€™t got any constructive thoughts go add value elsewhere :wink:

1 Like

To make it to Gadgeteer spec it would need to be 37mm :wink:

would it? Why? This is a serious questionā€¦ I am basing this on a 5mm spacing for mounting holes and theyā€™re located at the 3mmx3mm in from the corner, which I picked up from an existing module (I canā€™t remember which one though)

3.5mm from the edge as itā€™s a 7mm cirlce

ok, then itā€™s a 37mm x 37mm board that the fab will only charge you as though it was a 36mm x 36mm one :wink:

:smiley:

Here is a photo of the fingerprint scanner sort of mounted to a Tamiya board. The hardware is a bit too big, but shows it can be done.

There is room for the module to be moved from left to right.

Two things, first someone should send this picture to the vendor and ask them to adjust their design a bit as these project boards arenā€™t just a Gadgeteer thing (happy users tell other folks who become customers), second putting rubber feet on your project board is simply brilliant and sadly something I hadnā€™t thought of and hence why I have a lot of little scratches on my work table. Next trip to HomeDepot for rubber feet. Looking forward to this module as it looks highly cool thus far.

Hereā€™s the latest renders.

The price is $10.05 (then plus postage) to get them made at OSH Park.

If nobody can see any issues, Iā€™ll upload the gerbers to skydrive so anyone can grab them and send them to OSHpark.com and order your own, or if someone wants to coordinate sending the ā€œspareā€ around then feel free to join in here.

@ Brett - Good stuff Brett.

I think you should get some numbers and get them done in Gucci Black :wink:

dude, freighting them to AU then back out isnā€™t worth the effort :slight_smile:

Eventually Iā€™ll blog it and put the eagle files up too for anyone who wants them.

bah i read in the local rag that AU has a booming economy and your all rolling it it :smiley:

Iā€™ve read that too, canā€™t remember where. Yet to see it in reality ! :slight_smile: Although then again, thereā€™s a brickie who lives a few houses away from me whose house just sold and who had it advertised at offers over $1.075M. Maybe itā€™s only certain sectors doing well.

Maybe Iā€™d like to participate (not sure yet).
Iā€™m not so familiar with skydrive.
Can u explain me where to grab the files?

TIA Jos