Finger Print Scanner Module

This would be very cool to have as a Gadgeteer module

http://vimeo.com/59211187

would it? OK, as novel as it is, I don’t think it’s really much of a gadget. All the print recognition is in the device, so it’s almost too smart for a module. Plus, given it’s a serial interfaced device it’s not going to be hard to interface, although the command set is non-trivial. Got $50 to start playing?
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11651?

I think it is very useful :slight_smile: module but I also think it is very easy for anyone to connect to the breakout module. What would be really useful is a tutorial on how to do it all for sure.

this is another thing that I don’t need, so I ordered one.I have $50 to start playing.

I will publish my experiences and code, assuming someone else does not do it first.

3 Likes

[quote=“Mike”]
this is another thing that I don’t need, so I ordered one.[/quote]

Love it!!

Thanks Mike. I will order mine and wait for your code :wink:

That is really cool. I’ve always wanted to put an RFID lock on the garage for the kids to be able to come in/out easily but this would be even better. I recently added a mini keg to the garage and it’s in need of a way to keep out curious teenagers. I have all kinds of uses for this.

I agree with Brett that it is a very well contained system that one could easily implement without a Gadgeteer module. However, I do think this would make a great module. If for no other reason than to have plug & play drivers. If it were made into a module, I would prefer it be made so that the reader could be removed and extended from the module with additional wire. I can imagine a door lock where the reader would be on the outside but the mcu would be on the inside of the garage.

1 Like

Sounds like a good design spec to me. If anyone is building, I’d likely be buying.

So would this be a workable option here?
A simple OSHW board with a Gadgeteer socket on it and some screw-connectors for wires as long as you can get to reliably work, that then go into the JST ?
That way you can connect to the mainboard, you can connect the JST on as long a wire as you need, and you’re not limited to wire thickness/connector type. I’m thinking that if you’re trying to run too far then you may have issues if your power wires are too thin - plus you’ll always have potential for poor signal on the serial wires, but it’s the user’s responsibility to figure out what works and what doesn’t :slight_smile:

Since the module appears to come with the JST, I think it should be able to plug directly into the module. If someone wants to splice into that with thicker/longer wire then they can do so. My guess is that would be the exception case and not the norm. The fingerprint module should normally be connected to the Gadgeteer module PCB for typical prototype use. Perhaps using the tabs on the sides?

Hmm, except there’s no JST cable included with the module - from the comments of people who have purchased them anyway. So you end up buying the pigtail JST connector anyway, https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10359? so you essentially get bare wires on one end no matter what.

For prototyping use, connecting to the Gadgeteer adapter via the tabs possibly makes sense, but the board then is massive and therefore more costly.

Here’s a quick minimal module (silk yet to be completed).

Here’s the OSHPark renders for top and bottom (silk alignment seems off on the bottom compared to Eagle)
it’s $3.90 for 3 boards @ OSHPark. I haven’t figured out if anyone else can order approved boards submitted, but I’ll upload the eagle file somewhere so anyone can grab it if you want it, and order your own.
Edit: it has rounded corners they just don’t show.

1 Like

C’mon Andre, we all agreed we needed a dedicated module for this not an extender ! ( :wink: )

The “larger” one will mount with the reader… that’ll be better, won’t it ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ Brett - Convert your text to vectors instead of proportional then you get what you see in eagle when submitting to fab

@ Brett - I engage you to add a GPIO! in PIN3 to be able to plug an external ‘Autoprotection’ contact for those how would like to build a box with it, such as Ianlee for its garage, as an UART is somthing very easy to Hack when you have access to it !

BTW my “header” points are for 0.2" screw-down terminal blocks, not .1" headers… but they’re solderable, agreed…

Here’s a screen shot of the larger one with the screw points for the module - the “bottom” of the fingerprint reader will be near the 5v/gnd terminal blocks

@ Brett - would be more confortable with all the soldering holes on the right part, near from the module connector…

@ andre.m -

This is why Finger print is an easy hackable system… For example, SAGEM and Easydenic provided few years ago a system based on “Hand Vein recognition” that instead of marking finger prints, anaylze the positionning and density of veins (a sort of radioscopy). This can not be reproduced as in the video, but it has some border line effects…For example, if you come from outside in winter, your cold fingers veins will slightly change of density to make you support the temperature, and you’ll have to retry to make the system recognize you…or even rub your hands together to get the ambient temperature back…

You know here are no perfect systems. Each can be hacked more or less rapidly…The idea is to make a malicious guy take the longer time to pass over !

I could tell you about all the scanners and security checks we had to go through to get into the bunker, but it was the nice man with the rather large gun who knew you far better then you could ever guess giving you the personal interview which would be hard to get by with a gummie bear (those guys looked like they ate Buicks for a snack), but for a couple of projects I’d happily use this scanner. Its a value, convenience, security balance sort of thing and I don’t need to have anything medically implanted, so thats a bonus :wink:

Security is a whacked out world that makes no sense, for example who is the guy that has keys for every door in your building and does it bother you that he is also likely the lowest paid person in your company and the one that most often works alone after hours? Rarely do you ever need to attack physical facilities, people are much easier to compromise just ask Kevin Mitnick.