Feztive problem

Hello.

I got my Spider Starting Kit and cant get enough of it. Everything is working so far and so easy to do. One thing though saddened me today. I got 5m LED strip with the FEZtive as well. No matter what I try I cannot make any LED even blink on it. How can I troubleshot? I know about the power supply and I am using one. what else could be wrong?
Please help.

Thank you,
Sergey

welcome to forum.

in order for us to help, we need additional information.

first, how have you wired the led strip?

second, post a simple program which shows how you are driving the lights.

three, what version of the firmware is on your spider?

Hello, Mike.

Thank you for replying.

1. Wiring up is very straight forward: using usb/power board to power up main board and connect to PC, The FEXtive board A connected to main board on socket 6 (tried 9 as well), using computer ATX power supply to provide 5V to FEZtive 5V socket to power up LEDs strip, LEDs strip connected to the FEZtive A board on the (first) edge connector next to the S socket. See the attached picture.

2. I downloaded the FEZtive module and included into my project. Then here is the code:

void ProgramStarted()
        {
             feztive = new FEZtive(6);

feztive.Initialize(160, 4000);

feztive.Clear();

feztive.SetAll(feztive.White);

// Use Debug.Print to show messages in Visual Studio's "Output" window during debugging.
            Debug.Print("Program Started");
       }

let me know if you need more.

1. I upgraded to just downloaded loader and firmware. Here is what FEZ Config reports:
    Connecting to device…EMX_EMX
    Loader (TinyBooter) Version: 4.2.10.0
    Firmware (TinyCLR) Version: 4.2.10.1

Thank you!

@ bighare - I looked at the schematic and I am not sure how the A and B parts work. One of the few modules I don’t have in my collection.

From the picture you posted, I see that you are using the A? part only. I would check to make sure you are connecting to a live jumper. It appears that the B part is required to activate multiple jumpers.

Check the schematic and make sure the jumper you use is electrically connected to the Gadgeteer socket. An ohmmeter or voltmeter would help.

http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/schematic/FEZtive_Module_SCH.pdf

@ Mike - Thanks! that is quick!

I am connecting the whole strip to one jumper. My understanding is part B is used to chain part if I cut the strip. Also, voltmeter shows that all 5 jumpers are hot. I have 5.3 - 5.4V. I also, can see that the strip is powered. I also see power at the end of strip. I do not have oscilloscope and not sure how to check for a signal on over to connectors.

Trying to bump it up. Still have the problem. Stuck here.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=11566&page=2 has an interesting observation that might be relevant. This also https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=10147

Can you also take a better shot of the connections onto the FEZtive module? I’d also try with a regular (ie short) cable from the Fez to module, looks like you have a long one at the moment, and that might be influencing this?

from looking at the schematic (not the Eagle files, they don’t seem available) the JP1 connector is the one that will be “active” when you connect the Gadgeteer cable to the X3 connector. Since I can’t see the “A”/“B” layout all that clearly and can’t check the board design, I think X1 is the one on the B side board, so you should be fine connecting to the A board, just make sure you have GND and 5V the right way around on the LED strip connection and the 5V screw terminals.