FEZ stopped working

Hello, I am a complete beginner to the FEZ and am starting with C# for the first time. I have been working through the start-up tutorial (FEZ Tutorial) and everything seemed to work okay except in two areas.

First, when I ping the FEZ using the Deployment tool, it just displays ‘Pinging… TinyCLR’ And nothing else happens.

Secondly, when the device was first connected it seemed to have it’s LED flashing away happily. When I deployed the program to the device the LED stopped blinking and has remained so even after disconnecting or resetting, When reconnecting even on a different computer the LED lights up but very dimly.

What have I done? :frowning: How do I remedy this? Help …

Thanks in advance. TC

Is your USB port providing enough power to the device? You know how some external HDD enclosures have 2 usb host plugs? See if you get a hold of one of those and try it with fez, or try powering it up with a regulated 7V power supply with the correct polarity.

Reread the parts of the manual about installing drivers and updating the firmware, that is usually what gets everyone the first time around.

Thank you for your swift reply.

I should qualify, the power LED is very bright but it is the LED next to the UEXT that is dim. When I fist installed the device it blinked brightly but after sending data to the device it switched off. Then after I disconnected it and re connected (even to a different PC) the LED just eliminated dimly. My instinct is that something is amiss in terms of resetting itself. Maybe I can run some small test program to see if I can get the LED blinking again? I do have a variable DC power supply; it offers 3v, 4.5v, 5v, 6v, 9v and 12v. Do you think I should use that to power it? Would I use it as well as connecting to the USB?

Thanks again.

TC

Hi TopCat,

the LED is connected to a normal pin. So you can use it for diplaying the state of the pin

You can try out :
Start VS2008 and begin a new console project. Add following class to your project
http://www.tinyclr.com/downloads/Component/FEZ_Components_LED.cs

Now you can use the methods for e.g. switch on and off the led

Or you are also a beginner of C#?

Again Thanks for the reply; I really do appreciate it :slight_smile:

It seems that the Firmware was out of date, I have fixed this now. I am new to C# but not to programming in general. I have put in the code you suggested in to Visual Studio but it seems to have issues with it. The fist being that the namespace OutputPort is missing a using directive or assembly reference. I’ll have a check to see if I have everything properly installed. But I am able to ping the device now and the firmware is up to date.

Thank you so much for all your advice.

TC

Have you take a look in the beginner ebook?

http://www.tinyclr.com/downloads/Beginners%20guide%20to%20NETMF.pdf

The problem you have is maybe you didn’t add the required assemblies to your project

See page 30 and onwards. It should fix your problem

[quote]First, when I ping the FEZ using the Deployment tool, it just displays ‘Pinging… TinyCLR’ And nothing else happens.
[/quote]
Yes this is all you see back! There is no problems at all :slight_smile:

[quote]Secondly, when the device was first connected it seemed to have it’s LED flashing away happily. When I deployed the program to the device the LED stopped blinking and has remained so even after disconnecting or resetting, When reconnecting even on a different computer the LED lights up but very dimly.
[/quote]
This is also normal! When we ship the boards, we load a blinking LED application on the board so you know it is working when you first receive it. Now, when you loaded you r application, you replaced the program we had on there so the LED is no longer blinking. The LED is dim because the pin is not set to any state. SEt the pin low and LED will be completely off. This is also normal.

You are not having any problem at all. Just move on reading the book and trying the examples in it and you will have no problems in future either :wink:

Indeed you do not have any problems.

Also, the notice of you that the LED (on the board) is lit, but in dimmed mode, this is correct. Every board has that. (Cobra has too)

That’s awesome guys; I was spooked because it was dim. I have it working perfectly now, including the blinking demo. How crazy that I can be so excited by a blinking LED :D. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Now it’s time to get some projects under way. Do you know of any examples where I can make a Galvanic skin response system. from wires not kits? So I need to start with getting the pins some power and then reading it :slight_smile: Maybe I can illuminate an external LED first. Not the ready made kits but just a simple LED.

Thanks

TC

Always start simple then go on to more exciting things, blink LED…read a button…read analog value…make something amazing :wink:

Indeed, please use some examples from the book, then you can move onto more exciting things :wink:

Book:
http://www.tinyclr.com/downloads/Beginners%20guide%20to%20NETMF.pdf

Welcome TopCat, sounds like you have some fantastic ideas!