Fez Spider II not recognised

Hi all, I have a Fez Spider II. I’m trying to use it with Windows 10. I connected the mainboard to both a usb client SP/DP however the device is not being detected. I installed the 4.3 SDK, applied the patch, downloaded the latest GHI SDK, downloaded netcore. I assumed something would happen when I connected the device to my PC’s usb ports, and it would install the drivers. However nothing is happening. I can see the red led turning on the device but in Fez Config nothing is detected. Nothing is shown under transport/usb in Visual Studio. I have tried different USB ports: 2.0/3.0. I have also tried to connect it to a different PC with no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to force installation of the USB drivers?

1 Like

Please only connect your spider to the power module to your PC. An LED will light up on your mainboard.

What do you see under device manger on your PC? Try connecting it directly to the PC, not using hubs.

Welcome to the community.

I like audible and visual cues - make sure, when you connect the device to the PC, that you have sound turned on and can hear the new device noise (or not). And then see what appears in Device Manager as Gus said. The first check I’d do is that the power module is definitely connected on the D socket on the mainboard.

Hi again, sorry for the late reply. The forum system had me wait 8 hours. Anyway, I am absolutely certain (I was wearing headphones) that there was no sound at all when connecting the USB cable to the PC, nor the “installing drivers” window that usually appears.I tried all USB ports: 2.0, 3.0, usb ports on the back panel, front panel. On two different computers. No response at all. There is also no unknown device in device manager, no new USB controllers besides the usual ones. The only COM port listed is COM1.

Once I connect I can see the red LED on the motherboard switching on. If I plug the screen, it turns on and I see a white blank screen. Could it be that the firmware on the spider board is too old to be recognised by w10? I tried, within FEZ config to follow the procedure to update it (by switching 1 and 2 to on, resetting, and then off again) but it fails.

Any ideas?

With firmware or not, your PC should detect something over USB. Try a powered hub or add a power pack to the DP module. Try a different Gadgeteer cable. It maybe bad. Make sure you are plugging the cable into a D socket. Double check the socket please!

Actually, make sure you TRIPLE check the D socket is the one the power module is plugged into. The mainboard will work fine from a power perspective when you connect the module to any socket, but only the D socket has the USB signals and it will not be visible to the PC without that.

If you don’t hear a noise, then no device connected - it’s almost 100% the socket is wrong.

Hi again,
as you can see from the picture, the device is configured exactly as shown in page 3 of this getting started guide on your website. The other picture shows the device manager screen while the spider is connected.

What kind of power supply do I need for the DP module? I have also tried to plug in the SP module and a different gadgeteer cable, but nothing changes. Might the board be defective?

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve also just tried plugging in a 12v power supply as recommended elsewhere here, but still no sign of life.

1 Like

So, there’s a few things we can try - but the simple answer to one of your questions is yes, it’s possible you have a faulty device. Can I assume you’ve never had this working anywhere else and you’ve just recently bought it?

First, you mention COM1. I assume, but would like confirmation, that this COM port is visible when the Spider is not connected - ie it’s not related to the Spider being connected?

Second, you mentioned earlier both a USB Client SP and USB Client DP module, do you have both? If so, can I ask you swap out all the cables on each device and try with both the SP and DP, see if that makes a difference? While you’re pulling things apart, can I also ask that you just take a look around the physical socket on the Spider, to make sure there’s nothing visibly wrong, like a bent pin or something. That’s highly unlikely on those small sockets but you never know. Also make sure you swap USB cables, and make sure you’re not using a cheap 3rd party cable but are using the one that came with the device, they tend to be more reliable.

Next, can I get you to try connecting this device in tinybooter mode. To do that, you need to disconnect it form the PC, then turn switches 1 and 2 from the OFF position to the ON position. Once you’ve done that, connect the device to the PC again, listening for sounds, and you should hear it connect, and you should get another COM port appear. If that works, we know that the USB signals appear to be connected; if not, then there’s most likely a wiring issue (and since you swapped all the cables around earlier, that means it is now most likely to be on the Spider board itself).

Assuming that worked, open Fez Config, go into Advanced, Loader update, and choose the G120 (Spider2) option. Go through that process, and at the end of it you’ll need to switch 1 and 2 back to OFF, and disconnect the device, then reconnect it. See what now shows up in Device Manager.

I’m facing the same issue, but my device has been working for 2 years without any problems. The problem was occured after heavy rain with a lot of lightning… I don’t have any idea how to fix it… any advice?

@mifmasterz I’m not good enough to undo lightning, sorry :frowning:
There’s a good chance your device has been fried and you’re just out of luck. I’d advocate the same process though, eliminate all extraneous modules, check what Windows sees when you connect it, and deliberately step thru the troubleshooting and document states as you go (in this thread is good).

When was the last time you actually connected it to the PC? Sounds like it was probably more like an “installation” device rather than a daily development device so I guess it could have been a while since you had if actually running from the PC?

Do you have another that doesn’t misbehave?

Yes, I have tried to use different client DP modules and switch to tinybooter mode, but still no luck. Yes this is an installation device, I have flashed the updated-app one year ago… it has TFT display, but all I can see is just a white screen…

take all modules off (including screen). Confirm if anything shows up in Device Manager when in bootloader mode or normal mode

I have tried all the steps that you have posted before… I have seen nothing in device manager… no sound, no driver installation, but the red led on the board was turned on

Can you check (this with earlier version of ) Windows 7 how it act …

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Red LED means there’s power on the board, but no USB means the USB chip is not working, most likely your unit is fried. It might be as simple as a regulator, or as complete as the processor itself. But next steps are going to be hard unless there’s physical access to the device and multimeter and are comfortable working on PCB level stuff - are you? And do you have another device, that can prove the software on your laptop is working and the Spider isn’t working ?

PS I’d try several other cable swaps though before I totally gave up hope. How many times have I picked up a cable and said yeah that’s the one I used to use only to find it was too thin to deliver enough power, or had no data lines attached… swap ALL the cables, test with new if you can, etc…

I can flash my raptor in the same pc that I used to test my spider II. So, there is no problem with usb cable and my pc. How to check the processor condition with multimeter ? Is there any possibilities to recover this chip ?

you told us about the lightning. If it’s actually been affected by lightning, no you will never resurrect it.

Multimeter - you need to be checking things like voltages that the module is producing and is provided to start - you can’t really diagnose the internals of the chip. At best you could monitor voltages on pins (but be careful you don’t bridge anything out yourself) but that’s going to be a more intensive process as you will need to look at the circuit diagrams and pins and confirm what you see seems correct based on that.

Ok @Brett thanks for your help, appreciate :slight_smile:

1 Like