FEZ Rhino is online

The W5100 will run warm. This is normal. I did hear people say that it runs warmer when not connected to the network .

The following pin differences exist between 811 and 812, we may be able to use either, someone needs to test this though:

812 ----------- 811

J2:9 GND -> RX_LED
J2:10 GND -> TX_LED
J2:19 GND -> /LINKLED

holi crap, can i trade in my mini board?
Thanks! ;D

One other thing to contemplate on the Rhino Gus and team: could you put female headers on the Ethernet location in manufacture? That way the Wiz module is just a plug-in addition and doesn’t require end-user soldering!

We have 3 reasons on why not to add the female headers

1. Headers will make the wiz module too high to fit in the case
  2. Overtime, the module will start coming out
  3. Extra cost :slight_smile:

All sound reasons. And you’ve obviously contemplated it. Just thought it might make it a little less onerous to a newbie that’s all - taking a soldering iron to your Rhino on the first day may not be the simplest thing to convince someone to do :wink:

A starter kit that includes a pre-soldered Wiznet could be a good option then! 8)

Hmm

May be it is already time to have a wizard driven order/BOM page.

1.Choose your FEZ (wizard to ask questions on intended application)
2.Choose your Graphics options (Expansion boards, character, 3.5", 4", 7" etc.)
3.Choose your network
4.Choose your add ons (wizard to help based on intended application eg. GPS, wireless etc.)
5.View cross sell, upsell products
6.Other options -> gift, ship to distributor, pool and share shipping with other buyers from the same geographic area etc, etc,
7.Pay
8.Track

… so on and so forth …

:slight_smile:

Yes, please! I do see a lot of people on the net who start soldering stuff and totally screw up everything and then blame the manufacturer, which would be no nice thing for GHI.

Rajesh, sounds cool, but don’t you think this a little overdone?

Robert

I know this sounds way over :slight_smile: However I am sure that there is a potential to help people who are eager to start out in embedded and get to the first blinking LED. A good system will help them to maximize the investment allowing progressive growth to the final goal.

I have spoken to several people in the industry, academia and in general where they have good goals but no idea to work towards them. I have spoken to musicians who want build a cool MIDI device and to interior designer who want to make some cool LED effects.

And for GHI/FEZ this is a good time to build the system. They seem to be adding products at a rapid pace … look at the time between Cobra and Rhino :slight_smile: and there must be something called Panda in the thinking - almost there is a product in design during the release of another.

Soon there are going to be a lot of products and buyers need all the help

Currently :

Domino or Rhino
Mini or Domino
Cobra or EMX
Cobra or Rhino
Serial LCD or Parallel
Graphics or Character
… and I am sure that we can build a variety of combination

Another thought, I have run into multiple scenarios where i order a few things, pay the high shipping and mid way realize that I did not get that sensor :slight_smile:

I could be wrong but my vision is long term. I compare GHI to a few other companies that I have very high regards for :slight_smile:

The folks at GHI are passionate about what they do - a very critical ingredient for success - and I am sure they will grow soon to well … need… this “Ordering Wizard”

Gus … please don’t tell me that I am wrong on this :slight_smile:

The way I see it, a beginner should start with one board only and not try to solder or connect anything… blink an LED…read a button…control the LED through the button…start reading the ebook slowly… figure out what you want to make and THEN order more parts or try to solder something.

But I know there are users who would be too excited and start soldering before they even know what is an LED!! You can’t help those even if you try to :slight_smile:

The only issue I have with such a limited board is that once the user has learned all that he needs to know and is ready for the more advanced stuff, the board basically becomes obsolete for that user.

Maybe a board liek the Domino, only without the USB port, MicroSD slot, etc would be better for a beginner. Just the bare essentials, but keep the headers soldered and all to keep it freakin EZ for a beginner to pick up. :slight_smile:

I strongly disagree with you Chris. A system with limited resources does not mean that it will be obsolete. Each project has it requirements and you can find an adequate system for.
What I am trying to say FEZ Cobra is not a better option that The Rhino or Domino. or the more you get more advanced you would need Cobra more!

On the other hand, It is not necessary for a beginner to get FEZ Domino first to learn then get Fez Cobra later! Fez Cobra can be the starting point too then you move to FEZ Domino for your project.

[quote]I strongly disagree with you Chris. A system with limited resources does not mean that it will be obsolete. Each project has it requirements and you can find an adequate system for.
What I am trying to say FEZ Cobra is not a better option that The Rhino or Domino. or the more you get more advanced you would need Cobra more![/quote]

What I meant is that if you have a board that lacks any connectors there is a lot of use taken out of it. Although it will be easier for the user in the short run, the user will quickly outgrow it.

You are completely right that the Cobra is not the best choice for a starter user, just because of how much more you have to think to work with the LCD and all.

I still think the Domino is a great starter board since you can pick it up an immediately use it. It is a little limited due to the Arduino layout, but I don’t think there is any other system easier to just pick up.

I don’t really understand all this talk about the Domino not being easy enough. ???

By the way, I wasn’t talking about the Rhino in that post, just the idea of a super simple board. :slight_smile:

;D I mean that Fez Cobra can be also a good start up as same as Fez Domino or Mini. They are all supposed to be Freakn’ easy. I don’t like to add easiness as factor to compare between these solutions.
http://www.tinyclr.com/compare

They are all freakin; easy :slight_smile: but then if you are using shields then FEZ Domino is the option…if you need power then Cobra for sure. If you need a n awesome small OEM option then Rhino is what you need.