FEZ Panda II: USB Host Shield - can work?

Hi all. I’m aware the panda ii can do USB host via the on board port with modifications, but don’t want to make those sacrifices.

I’ve seen plenty of USB host shields for arduinos, so I’m wondering, can i use this with c# on the panda II… Obviously it will physically fit, but how do I use it code-wise?

For reference, I’m wanting to interface a keyboard via USB for an event-driven interface.

Doable, or do I have to use the onboard port?

Hi Vidguide, welcome to the forum.

So the answer is that pretty much anything you can do with Arduino you can do with netmf. Electrically, most shields will work, perhaps require re-routing some pins or you might have to worry about level shifting.

But that doesn’t really do the same as the mod. The inbuilt peripheral for USB host in the processor in Panda is programmed and will work with the inbuilt USB host functions in C#. So you do the mod, then you’re able to use it. What you end up with when using a shield is something you have to write a driver for, essentially duplicating functionality already in the firmware. So there is a lot of benefit in just doing the mod

1 Like

Ahh, so yes, this is what I was afraid of. Makes sense too. Ok, no worries, ill do the mod :slight_smile:

Do you have an up to date link on how to do it? Everything I can find seems to point to a single blog entry, and it has been moved/deleted.

Also, any tips on now do debug output via serial?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hmmm, that blog was an interesting reference. Gus?

http://blog.tkjelectronics.dk/2011/03/fez-panda-and-usb-host/
seems to have a pretty good reference.

As for serial debug, it’s pretty simple. Got a TTL USB UART adapter? If not, get yourself one (or 5) from ebay, they’re cheap. I haven’t used serial debug with this one but I have used it without problem: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-CP2102-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Connector-Module-Serial-Converter-/390568168944?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item5aefad4df0

Thanks for that. Spot on. I’ve ordered both the serial -> USB and some parts to build a cable. Thanks again so much for your help!