FEZ Cobra II Eco and RS9110-N-11-22-05 WiFi module

Hi, is it possible to manually solder RS9110-N-11-22-05 WiFi module with external antenna to Cobra II Eco without any additional components or is there any special circuit for the wifi module on the wifi version of the cobra which is not present in the Eco version? I need just one board with the external antenna option and at the same time save some money (Cobra Eco = $59.95 + WiFi module = $41.50 = $101 while Cobra II Wifi = 149$)

The schematic for both boards is the same. I don’t believe that additional components are needed.

It is possible to manually solder the WiFi module. The best way would be to use solder paste and an oven. It can be done with a soldering iron, but it is not easy. You can save a few dollars by soldering it yourself, but is it work the risk?

1 Like

Yes possible while keeping in mind the center pad.

@ Mike - it is not just saving the money, it is the only possible way to have a single board with external antenna :slight_smile: GHI already provides this but with special order only and minimum 100 cobras

@ Gus - do you mean just the alignment of the boards while soldering or in other words putting the module in the exact place or do you mean something else by mentioning the centering pad?

There is a centre GND pad under the device that you won’t be able to solder if you manually do this.

You’ll need a reflow over to be able to get this pad properly soldered.

1 Like

@ Dave McLaughlin - ok I got it, thank you

@ Ahmed2 - How about using this module https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/381 with an extender module to connect to Cobra Eco?

1 Like

@ Mike - this will waste one S socket (which I intend to use for something else) and will cost 10$ more< but yes I have that option in mind. Thanks by the way :slight_smile:

@ Gus - I there anyway to have one these FEZ Cobra II (WiFi w/ ANT) https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/496 just one? even with the 10 more dollars :slight_smile: ?

@ everyone Recently, we lowered the price for eco and now we lowered the price for the WiFi boards. We hope this will help everyone.

Official announcement comes shortly.

1 Like

@ Gus - GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT :smiley: