ENC28 Ethernet for Hydra

Somethimes I need to reinsert the cable a few times before the leds come on. Yes windows lan connection is connected

I also used winshark to do network capturing, but I only see the ARP request and no responses of any kind

In my control panel --> network settings --> lan connection = connected

I think you received version 1.0. Only about 10 of these were shipped. You will be receiving an email from GHI if you haven’t already. I do not think this is the main problem still.

I have Ethernet ENC28 1.0. What can still be the problem when connecting the hydra directly to two different laptops (one even with no firewall/antivirus)?
I’ll even have an oscilloscope if you want me to check something?

I also tried with other connection wire from Hydra to ENC28 module without success

I added a screenshot of my Hydra config and my pc config
both connected with cross cable directly

Did you buy the module from GHI directly?

Maybe the MAC address is invalid

I’ve bought it from two of your distributors: Mouser and shop.microframework.eu
But Mouser got a delay from more than a month → somewhere in March now and then I ordered a second one from shop.microframework.eu. So I’m still waiting for the one from Mouser, but my projects deadline is comming closer end of March.

Version 1.0 was never made it to Mouser. You will hear from microframework.eu if you ordered from them.

I like to add that version 1.0 works but it be difficult to connect to certain networks. Like you said it would take few plug in to get the LEDs to come on but as far as data transfer we didn’t see a problem.

As you know, this is a very very new feature to hydra so there is room for improvement and this is exactly what we are doing now.

Will using MFDeploy work for establishing the IP address with the ENC268?

When I was debugging my code on the Hydra:

var interfaces = NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces();
            if (interfaces != null && interfaces.Length > 0)
            {
                NetworkInterface networkInterface = interfaces[0];
                networkInterface.EnableStaticIP("192.168.0.150", "255.255.255.0", "192.168.0.1");
                //networkInterface.EnableStaticDns(new[] { "192.168.0.1" });
            }

I noticed when I changed it with MFDEPLOY that the values where changed in the inferfaces[0]

@ Gus,

Is there something else I can check for you? I would like to contribute to the hydra project.

@ Mike Yes MFDeploy can be used to set the address.

@ krikke999 thanks and we will surly need your help. As far as I know ping should simply work. What is your MAC address? Did you set it in MFDeploy?

If you have a display, what do you see on power up?

Ahh … 1.0 boards is my problem, eh? :frowning:

Is there any way you could divulge what I might be able to do to fix the 1.0 board? Was it a simple capacitor change that I might be able to achieve here, or something more complicated?

I also need to fiddle with cables to get it to talk. Interestingly, it seems to prefer really long cables.

Pinging works sometimes … an example:

Pinging 10.10.10.201 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.10.10.201: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.10.10.201: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 10.10.10.201:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

I have a simple program that spits out a UDP packet once a second, and can see it sending on Wireshark.

Phil

I’ve flashed network firmware on the Hydra and attached an ENC28j60 (thanks to gadgeteer extender) of my own ( Serial Ethernet Board - ENC28J60 Development Tool if interested) and all seems to work fine.
Tested with WebServer.StartupLocalServer() and it is fine. Ping has no problem at all.
More interesting I’ve 3.8Ghz 2600K and VMware installed with no issue.

// IP set with MFDeploy to 192.168.20.66
        void ProgramStarted()
        {
            string ip = "";
            Debug.Print("Network Startup");
            NetworkInterface[] ethintf = NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces();
            foreach (NetworkInterface nif in ethintf)
            {
                Debug.Print("Intf: " + nif.IPAddress);
                ip = nif.IPAddress;
            }
            if (ip == "")
                Debug.Print("ERROR: No ethernet found!");
            WebServer.StartLocalServer(ip, 80);

Debug.Print("Program Started");
        }

@ Gus,

I don’t have a display to see the bootup…
I also worked with PIC32 and the mac address was the same as this Hydra. The pic had no issues with that mac address.

I’ll try the approach of using a very long cable to see if the ping sometimes come alive.
I’ll check this tomorrow…

I wanted to see the display for messages nit fro the MAC address. I think it is best to use the updated module, just in case. Have you received an email from GHI or your distributor about it?

@ krikke999
I had similar problem (on a PIC project) with on a old card (similar to the one I’m testing on hydra). It was a problem on the RBIAS resistor not good (too low value not in tolerance, 2.12K instead 2.32K).
Check it.

@ dobova

regarding the mikroe ehternet board, did you write a apecial driver or something to make it work or just connecting it to the SPI bus, Thanks