EMX unable to start application

I am suddenly running into a problem where I need to boot the EMX board several times to finally get my application running. It hangs reporting the following:

Build Date:
Oct 15 2010
09:52:48

cps=0x200000df
pc =0x00050943
lr =0x00050947
sp =0x4000f630

This has happened occasionally - but at the moment I am having trouble getting past it.

This should never happen! Can you give us some steps to reproduce this?

I am in the situation at the moment. I have compiled my application and deployed it - I am not debugging at the moment - and I restart the EMX. I end up with the halt. I reboot a couple of times - and usually by the third or fourth reboot I am running. This does not always happen.

I have a CAN connector that is currently down - but is terminated. COM2 is my debug. COM1 is connected as the UART port via the USB cable Joe recommended. USB is also connected for power and for communications. Finally I have wired Ethernet.

Here is my program class. It does not get any simpler.

using System;
using Microsoft.SPOT;

namespace NetMF
{
	public class Program
	{
		public static void Main()
		{
			Debug.Print(
					Resources.GetString(Resources.StringResources.String1));
		}

}
}

Please make the program as small as possible and eliminate the not needed and custom stuff. We are not able to run the example you provided on our hardware.

I figured you guys would just eliminate the code that is superfluous. Since it often never starts running I am not sure it matters. I fixed the previous post. This also fails.

*** Ignore ***

Anything I can do to correct this? It does get a bit aggravating - esp when debugging. I often reboot the board manually several times and the debugger does not always pick it up.

Just noticed I am getting a slightly different result:

SP = 0x4000f640

rest is the same.

Not sure what is your question. Is it connection problem? Is it the original crashing problem?

The crash

Last request was from mike for an example that we can try to get this fixed ASAP. We need a way to reproduce in order to fix.

All I do is reboot the board. The code I gave him crashes. Perhaps if I had some idea what this was telling me I could try different things. It is not a programming issue. Simply resetting manually can result in the crash on restart.

I unplugged ethernet and can. I have a null modem on com1. I have a uart cable connected to com2. I have a usb cable powering the thing. I get a crash every 3rd or 4th reboot - whether performed by VS2010 or manually via the button.

Who knows if this means anything - but when I get into a state where several reboots in a row have failed - unplugging ethernet appears to help. However, it fails with ethernet unplugged.

We need code that we can run on development system, with no dependency on anything external, in order for us to solve this quickly

Gus - I obviously am not making myself clear. There is no code. Did you look at the post with code? It is simply a .Net Micro console project - nothing more. I am not sure it gets any simpler. There are no dependencies. This thing crashes before my code even runs. It crashes when I run that program I left for Mike. Here it is again. I have no idea what else to tell you guys except the hardware configuration.

using System;
using Microsoft.SPOT;

namespace NetMF
{
	public class Program
	{
		public static void Main()
		{
			Debug.Print(
					Resources.GetString(Resources.StringResources.String1));
		}

}
}

It is possible that you somehow saved wrong configurations for Wifi or something weird that it is working on startup…
Please do this:

Start fresh, re-update your firmware on the board. First MUST enter GHI
bootloader, send E command and erase everything.
Update you firmware with the latest version and do not put any managed application on the board.
Reboot the board as you like. Does it ever fail?
Now put a new ConsleProject on the board. Does it every fail?
If it does, please contact us by email to return the board so we can look into it.

Good call. First, I was unable to get Windows 7 to recognize the EMX when booted into the GHI Boot Loader mode. It would show up as a device without drivers. I cast around briefly for the proper drivers, but decided that if this was firmware configuration I really did not need to step back that far. The TinyBooter worked fine and the board has been stable since the reload. I will run this way for the next few days to be sure.

At some point I will need Ethernet and Wifi. This was all working - so whatever I did was not a show stopper. I will reintroduce both in a much more controlled fashion once I am convinced all is well.

So far so good. Thanks.